The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My much loved Chummy
        It is exactly 60 years since owned a 1929 Chummy UD 3722, that we called Amelia.

I bought it for £30 and sold it for £35!

For many years I have been trying to find out about the present owner, and to have a ride for old times sake. 

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi...3&t=460970 

The car appears to be not registered with any motor clubs, and DVLA have been unhelpful.

Does anyone know the car, or can suggest  where I can seek?

Oliver
Hi Oliver,
I'm assuming it's UD 3372 rather than 3722 - the numberplate's not particularly clear in the photo though on my 37" monitor it certainly looks to be UD 3372 - just checked, the registration UD 3722 would have been issued by Oxfordshire around the middle months of 1930 whereas UD 3372 would have been issued in late 1929. The chassis number shown on the A7CA Chassis Register for UD 3372 would suggest a build date of very late September / first days of October 1929.

If it is UD 3372 then it's on the A7CA Chassis Register as a 25th October 1929 registered AE Tourer colour blue said to be in the ownership of a member of the Pre War Austin 7 Club - though this information would appear to date from 2009 so may no longer be the case.

The DVLA database has it as 'Not taxed for on road use' in a green box - this shows that the car has not been taxed / on the road since at least the introduction of SORN on 31st January 1989. It may of course have been off the road for considerably longer - back in around 1983 when the then DVLC introduced their computer database, adverts were placed in all the vintage / classic car magazines asking owners of cars that were currently off the road and not taxed to send their old log books to Swansea to be exchanged for a new V5 and have their vehicle details included on the new computer database - the implication at the time from the DVLC was that if you failed to do so you'd loose any future right to have the original registration number reinstated on your vehicle - therefore many owners of 'off the road' vehicles undergoing restoration or long term storage including myself did just that. At the time I owned and still do a totally dismantled 1936 Morris 8 Tourer which hasn't been on the road since the late 1970's and similarly it's on the DVLA database as 'Not taxed for on road use' in a green box simply because I took the trouble to send the old log book to Swansea as requested back in 1983.
OP does state the reg no. Jeff, but I suspect a typo as it doesn't seem to match the plate - I wonder if you could confirm it Oliver

Super pictures by the way!
So he does Chris, I need new glasses !! However it does look to me like 3372 in the photo. I've edited / corrected my post !
Sorry folks. Jeff is correct, and the car is UD3372 registered in October 1929, and it has always been blue.
I see that it has never had an MOT test. Is it exempt?
Jeff, would you give me the details of the 2009 owner please.
Oliver
Yes it is MOT exempt; 'never' means since these records were kept on line, which is not that long ago.
(10-01-2018, 12:41 PM)oliverp111 Wrote: Sorry folks.  Jeff is correct, and the car is UD3372 registered in October 1929, and it has always been blue.
I see that it has never had an MOT test.  Is it exempt?
Jeff, would you give me the details of the 2009 owner please.
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Unfortunately the owners name is not given, the Austin 7 Clubs Association Chassis Register has never held details of the actual car owners names and addresses just the registration / chassis / engine / car / model numbers and colour of Austin 7's known to exist and those that are still thought to exist. This purely vehicle information is passed to the A7CA Registrar by the membership secretary's of the many A7CA affiliated Austin Seven clubs worldwide. The Chassis Register does however list the club of which the cars owner was a member when the vehicles data was last updated to the A7CA Registrar - the 'Notes' for your car state: 2009-May - Data via A7CA website. That might suggest that the car hasn't been notified as belonging to a member of an A7CA affiliated club since 2009 or maybe before then. Certainly the last club of whom the owner was apparently a member was the Pre War Austin 7 Club (PWA7C).

Can I suggest you contact the PWA7C membership secretary - if their membership records do show who the owner was back in 2009 they may be prepared to contact him/her on your behalf and pass on your request regarding the car - they'll probably not be willing to actually give you the name and address due to data protection laws as you've no doubt found when dealing with the DVLA concerning your car.

I've included some links:

The Chassis Register page for UD 3372:
http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/regresults

The DVLA database page:
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

The Committee Page of the PWA7C - Chris Dickinson is the clubs Registrar and Membership Secretary - click on his 'contact me':
https://www.pwa7c.co.uk/committee.php 

Do let us know what happens and if your successful in finding your much loved Amelia.

Perhaps you'd like to upload your wonderful 1950's photos of Amelia to our 'Gallery' page within the main banner far right.

Best of luck,

Jeff.

Hello Jeff
Thank you for all your useful advice.  I will follow the links you suggest.  I have uploaded my pictures and the thumbnail images are correct, but when clicked it opens a magnified part of the picture.  Any ideas?  I cannot find a contact point for the website administrator.
(11-01-2018, 01:49 PM)oliverp111 Wrote: Hello Jeff
Thank you for all your useful advice.  I will follow the links you suggest.  I have uploaded my pictures and the thumbnail images are correct, but when clicked it opens a magnified part of the picture.  Any ideas?  I cannot find a contact point for the website administrator.

Don't worry Oliver, Mike Costigan who administers the Gallery section will resize them for you in due course. I think you'll agree there's a good selection of Austin 7 images from the 1920's through to the 1960's given the Gallery section has only been running for a couple of months and we're always looking to add more - thanks for uploading yours.

Jeff
Job done  Angel