The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
interesting front suspension
Does anyone know the car and or have experiences of vertical shocks ?

.jpg   austin vertical.jpg (Size: 153.8 KB / Downloads: 520)

OK clearly doing something wrong adding a attachment, hmmm what am I missing, resized jped, browsed to file, add attachment, wait for the refresh, insert into post, have (attachment=15274) nothing shown, windows 10 firefox upto date... etc etc etc drag and drop displays the image only to be told cant post too many characters ..

any pointers please ?
Picture posting on site is still broken (for some) I'm afraid.
It seems to be a random problem. I posted a comment in another thread with two pictures - one appeared, but no sign of the other!
Ah the picture has appeared.
I opened the pic ok here.
Not seen the hartford shocks fitted like that on a 7 before but that's how they would be fitted with a conventional vintage chassis with 1/2 elliptic springs.
I did see a lowered ulster at Loton Park the other week with really short hartford shocks mounted behind the axle across the chassis.(William Way's car) Which handled well
Picture works ok for me.
The shock layout seems similar to what is used on hot rods in the US, especially on the rear axle; most seem to use 'single-arm' friction shock rather than 'double-arm'.
Still wouldn't eliminate side movement of the axle, however looking at the picture does look like the ends of the axle are triangulated ...

Looks great though :-)

Anyone know if William Way or his car are featured on this site ? Ive found a few pics of William competing and would love to know more about his Ulster build...

Indeed Austin, very interesting set up on WW's car...
thanks for that
The Way family are very good with Austins. The car at Loton was seriously lowered,the front spring shape mirrored the bowed shape of the front axle with about 1" clearance. the shock absorber arms were very short,guess only 4-5"long.
I’m not sure the friction damper will work very efficiently with that set up. I’d stick with the usual twin arrangement.
Alan Fairless