The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arrow restoration
Indeed Perter but in use I haven't noticed any body flex issues with the finished car. Tellingly the chassis has been reinforced, assumedly by the coachbuilder?

Nice engine in your Arrow Mark. 

Interesting to note the angle iron frame at the back of the car seems to be pukka Arrow.
I was also trying to work out the picture - I'm presuming that is a bespoke chassis jig/table created for this/other restorations? For the angle iron, how many attachment points along the chassis and how was it originally attached, Mark?
Yes the galvanised metal is just a stand I made so the body was supported and at a working height while the chassis went on holiday to my dads for TLC.

Not much holds the body onto the chassis, two bolts to little stand off brackets at the front cross member and the rear is supported on those rather agricultural but heavy duty angle iron extensions. The extensions in turn bolt to the Austin chassis extensions (cracked on my car so worth a close inspection Sergio) with two bolts per side.

The plywood floor and prop shaft tunnel bolt to the chassis rails and the two timber supports seen on the chassis photo, the floor does not seem to be attached to the body in any way.
Very useful pictures and notes about chassis to body bracket.
I look forward to be able to lift the body and inspect the chassis.
Here I am again.
I removed all the body to chassis fixing bolts and body is ready to be lifted (I am preparing a tool/jig to lift it without deformations).
In the meaning I stripped down some other parts I had access to (i.e. front damper, steering box, throttle linkage, ecc).
I was a bit concerned about the steering box because I noted that it was too high compared to the pictures of other 65 competition.
I measured tha angle between chassis rails and steering column and found it was incorrect (37° instead 33°1/2... please correct me if I am wrong)
I was afraid that the steering box was not original. Instead I was happy to find a shim under the rear bolt securing the box to the chassis rail and now I suppose the box is correct for a sport chassis. Can you confirm?
[Image: IMG20211025181319.jpg]
its a 9E box casing so its sports... as per the 65.
Yes that is the correct box for your car.
Sorry for not updating this thread for a while.
I was still stripping the car and now I will let you know.
I built a hoist in my garage to lift the body and separate it from the chassis:
[Image: IMG20211101114742.jpg]
Then I put apart the body and decided to concentrate my effort to the frame:
[Image: IMG20220116174107.jpg]
[size=1][Image: IMG20211107182742.jpg][/size]
Several rivets were replaced by nuts and bolts (of different sizes and types) so I was able to dismantle the chassis deeper:
[Image: IMG20211226200201.jpg]
in order to have it carefully paint stripped.

In the meaning, I started to investigate about any possibilities to find traces af the original colour of the car.
The body colour has probably been a sort of primerose:
[Image: IMG20220116184645.jpg]
And under the wings I found a sort of cherry red:
[Image: IMG20220116163918.jpg]
Same colour on the door contour:
[Image: IMG20220102191823.jpg]
So, according to the period Arrow adverts, the car was probably finished in two tone cream and dark red:
[Image: A7%20Arrow%2065%20Competition%20Advert%20ridotta.jpg]
Unfortunately there is not much more period literature about Arrow 65 competition, so I am just guessing...
I wonder if any evidence of red on the wheels? Exciting stuff. Great combination.
Would be great if you could, from the evidence, mark that side view up with where you think the cream/red split was. It looks the red wasn't just on the wings from one of those pictures?