The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The efficacy of electrolytic de-rusting
I've had the electrolytic cleaning bath out again recently as I needed to clean some engine bits before assembly. Having left it for a few weeks, I thought it would be a good idea to clean the anode, (which is wearing a bit thin I have to admit) so I reversed the current direction for 24 hours with a scrap cylinder block in the tank. I was surprised to find the cylinder block (which had looked respectable at first glance) had aged a bit when I fished it out this evening and looked like it came up from the Titanic!

The bath is now connected normally, de-rusting a flywheel.
Now you can put it in Bonhams next auction, described as “Austin Thetis auxiliary engine cylinder block, rescued from Titanic.”
I'm glad to say the tank is working well after cleaning the Anode. This was a rusty head, straight off the pile, now looking good.

.jpg   DSC_1229s.JPG (Size: 43.41 KB / Downloads: 186)
As an avid fan of electrolytic de-rusting, I am very pleased to see this result, which may convince those doubters as to its efficacy...  Well done.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish