The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A7 with Tiger Moths
We were at Little Gransden Air and Car Show yesterday. Wonderful stuff, as always.

Late in the afternoon I snapped these Tiger Moths heading in towards one of the few Austin Sevens attending. Also took a shot of the very effective logo on the tail of the Austin.

Other photos (mainly aircraft) here.

Nice one nick,

I beleive two of my most favourite things.

An austin 7 supersports.

And the tiger moth, the spectacular fighter plane ever made. Never to see battle.

I beleive made at the end of the first world war. But to late to join in. And out of date by the 1939 to 1945 confilct Smile " thanks uncle albert" for that one.

Plaid it's part as a trainer plane for spitfire pilots.

Tony.
We had a retired RAF pilot in the village some years back. He flew anything and everything during his time but spent some of WW11 training pilots on Moths. Definitely a maverick, telling me the story that on D Day he, with his student, ventured out into the Channel heading for the French coast for a stooge around. They didn't stay long as he kept spotting aircraft " with black crosses on them "! Later he did high altitude testing on Spitfires and after the war converted to jets - Vampires, and the like. Retired from the RAF, he flew helicopters for oil companies in the Middle East. Proper bloke.
One for Tony.

My uncle, John Pope, (who loved his cars...) joined the RAF Volunteer Reserve at the start of WW2. Here he is in a Tiger Moth during initial training at Cambridge. He wrote to his sister (my mother):

"I think that the first time I drove a plane into the sky was the greatest moment I have ever experienced. I sang and shouted like a maniac, rocked the wings and swooped about in sheer ecstasy."

He joined a night-fighter squadron piloting Blenheims and then, with 29 Squadron, on 8th March 1942, was killed at RAF West Malling in a landing accident whilst converting onto Beaufighters. I wish I had known him.

.jpg   img085-2.jpg (Size: 325.87 KB / Downloads: 158)
thank nick, for sheering his story.

thats a sad ending.

a lovely picture, shows how important the plane was. 

a bit like the austin 7, underestimated in many peoples eyes. 

and im sure although pilots of the time who were interviewed about the spitfires they flew. would have had just as fond memories of the tiger they trained in. "if asked"

tony
In Cambridge, we have 'Marshalls', a firm that has its roots in running a taxi service from 1909 (I think) to now being a huge conglomerate with extensive motor retail outlets and dealerships and a large aerospace arm where they take c-130s apart and refurbish them for many airforces. The have their own aerodrome, of course

At the outbreak of the second war Arthur Marshall devised a method of training newly recruited RAF pilots on Tiger Moths which was universally adopted. Marshalls eventually trained 22,000 pilots during WWII. A Google search will soon lead you to greater detail but a short history can be found here https://cambridgeaeroclub.com/history/

The Cambridge Flying Groups still fly 2 1938 Moths from the airfield
Many years ago I had taken our Ulster into Letchworth to do some shopping. Upon my return to the car I found an elderly gent leaning on a stick,  admiring the car. After the usual comments he remarked cars were a bit like planes - not half as much fun when they had roofs on. Unfortunately I was a bit pressed for time so couldn't take the conversation further but that is one encounter that I have not forgotten.

Tony