The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replicating Bakelite Colour
(30-08-2021, 09:23 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: How about trying a dark hardwood as a filler, plus a brown die in the resin.

That's a good idea. I have some scraps of old mahogany somewhere and a belt sander. I can see me taking a trip to the art shop for some powder paints.

Jamie.
I repaired a black plastic car badge, didnt know what to use as a die, and google didnt help much. I used 5 min araldite (clear), with a dab of normal oil based black paint. Didn't take a lot, went as black as coal. Worked perfectly.
Thank you, Hedd.

My current thinking is to try and dye some fine sawdust to the right colour and then mix that into a clear resin. I shall be using some for another project shortly, so can experiment with any leftovers, using silicon sweet moulds for the shape. I might still need some colour in the resin, but I hope that the wood dust will give a semblance of the original look of Bakelite, as you suggest.

Regards,

Jamie.
Try MDF powder. It goes surprisingly dark when mixed with resin.
Just don't breathe in while powdering your MDF! Highly toxic...
(04-09-2021, 10:20 AM)Bruce Nicholls Wrote: Try MDF powder. It goes surprisingly dark when mixed with resin.

I shall try that. I have made a couple of pieces using a silicon mould for making sugar paste cake decorations. I mixed a fairly dark sawdust into a resin mix. The result was very encouraging, although it was a too dark for my liking, tending towards black too much. It did not help that I got the ratios wrong and the resin has set like a piece of warm toffee.

Regards,

Jamie.
Hmmm! Did you taste it Jamie?
(05-09-2021, 10:29 AM)Renaud Wrote: Hmmm! Did you taste it Jamie?

Tempting though it may have been, I resisted the urge.
. Jamie