The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modification to uncoupled brakes
so the brass clips - they just give a slightly more stable surface to press against?
Although more work, it's not necessary to drill the cross member. Providing you can make something to wrap around the brake cross-shaft hanger and register against the bottom flange of the cross member (and a screw thread to make the necessary setting) it becomes a removable mod. Even on the coupled braked cars, this is still a worthwhile thing to do. The pictures below show one way of doing it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(25-08-2021, 05:35 PM)JonE Wrote: so the brass clips - they just give a slightly more stable surface to press against?

Hi Jon

On the near side, yes.  On the off side it “hooks” the brake cross shaft and stops it moving backwards.

In reality they provide additional support to the cross shaft brackets. These are quite weak and as Jim says, can flex.

Cheers

Howard
(25-08-2021, 05:24 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(25-08-2021, 05:14 PM)AustinWood Wrote: A similar one at the near side would prevent the bracket moving back.
watching underneath while someone presses the brake pedal is interesting. The movement on the brackets is surprising!

I have exactly that arrangement  Smile.

Cheers

Howard

I like the idea of a "pull" bracket on the near-side. Can you say exactly which pipe brackets you used?
Hi Tony

Can’t remember the exact item but this is a similar one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28mm-Brass-Mu...635-2958-0

Note it’s 28mm which means you need the copper “bearing or shim” to bring it down to the 1” diameter of the shaft.

Cheers

Howard
(25-08-2021, 06:51 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Tony

Can’t remember the exact item but this is a similar one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28mm-Brass-Mu...635-2958-0

Note it’s 28mm which means you need the copper “bearing or shim” to bring it down to the 1” diameter of the shaft.

Cheers

Howard

Thanks, Howard. The thread is presumably BSP - perhaps 1/4?
Hi Tony

No I think the ones I bought were metric 8mm. The small set screws were 5mm I think. Sorry I did this some time ago.

This eBay listing quotes the thread as being as being 10mm.

Cheers

Howard
I used a much cruder bracket to stop the shaft moving back.
Made from a modified exhaust clamp.

Jim
(25-08-2021, 09:32 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Tony

No I think the ones I bought were metric 8mm. The small set screws were 5mm I think.  Sorry I did this some time ago.

This eBay listing quotes the thread as being as being 10mm.

Cheers

Howard

Thank you for the details. I've ordered one and will see how it goes.
Nick's drawing shows the bolt resting against the bracket. Would this not be better than resting against the cross-tube?