The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine runs, even after switch master cut off
(22-08-2021, 06:46 PM)mopetta Wrote: Thanks for your feedback. Its a coil engine. The ignition switch is connected to a relay the switches the power of the battery. The master switch is one like the ebay link shows but only disconnects the battety plus from everything else

Best regards
Oliver

I attached the schema for the electrics. I use the Lucas switch to switch the water pump on/off, not to switch the ignition.

If you look at your diagram you can see that you have a parallel circuit from your dynamo back to the chassis earth (primarily provided by the dynamo) which is independent of your battery and master switch. If the dynamo is providing an output, it will be picked up by the various load items via the 'A' and 'B' terminals on the switch panel regardless of the status of a simple battery master switch.
(22-08-2021, 09:09 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi mopetta

As the others have said, the generator continues to supply voltage even if the battery is disconnected, and this is supplying the coil ignition and keeping the engine running.

I recommend a separate on/off switch in series with the supply to the ignition coil.  You could hide this under the dashboard as a security measure.

Why did you change the original ignition switch so that it controls the water pump ? - This is rather unusual.

As indeed is having a water pump per-se!!