The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tayna battery - is it me?
I spoke to Tayna a few weeks ago. I was considering buying a dry battery with separate acid as I was staying in the same village as them, and it seemed convenient to have a new one at home ready to charge with acid.  They told me that since 2018 the law changed and one has to be licensed to fill one's dry battery with acid. I don’t know what the license is. 

Roly
1931 RN, 1933 APD
so far so good... definitely not on a pallet though unless its a micro one...    
Less than 24 hours too.

Ironic the photo doesnt want to go 'this way up'... cant work out how to fix.
I bought a new 12v battery for the 'Nash from " battery group " Excellent price, delivery within 20 hours, near fully charged, well packaged... and it arrived the right way up!

Which way up do you want it?
is anyone else getting two image files produced when one drags one file into the attachment area? (that is not a comment on Andrew's last post!)

The packaging inside... extremely strong waterproof gaffer tape 1" wide over the three acid holes, and then further taped over edges of that first tape.. and then around the whole top edge of the battery. Rip all that off and put the plastic triple-bung thing in.

On the latter, do people remove the top strip when trickle/maintenance charging on an Exide 80aH please??
Tayna added a £76 surcharge because I live in the Highlands and wouldn't honour the discount offered for signing up to their newsletter. Groves Batteries were significantly cheaper (including delivery) and very easy to deal with.
Does anyone know what makes this Yuasa battery so expensive: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/421.html  It's available at a few places, but the cheapest I've found is £162.

The reason I ask is that I have one ... it came fitted to the A7 I bought recently. It looks very sturdy and appears to be reasonably new, BUT the spec isn't great: 50 Ah and 250 (En). It often runs out of power to turn the starter enough times to fire the engine.

I'm thinking of replacing it and it looks like the Exide offers better performance. I'm reluctant to dispose of what appears to be a fairly new item if there is some advantage to keeping it. Has anyone else fitted a Yuasa 421 or can explain its advantage?
if you look on the manufacturer sites, a lot of the RRP are about that sort of level. I tried to get a quote for a standard 421 through my motor factor and he said 140 even when I muttered something suggesting what about a trade rate.
That looks a nicely made rubber box though.... but agree, much less agreeable aH.
In response to Jon e. I always vent a battery when charging trickle or other. Be it by removal of the top strip or unscrewing each filler/breather on each single cell. Charging a lead acid battery produces gases they have to escape by some means. I do cover the battery with a loose rag to prevent any bubble splashes going onto the body etc

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I see now that there are one or two batteries like my Yuasa marketed as having a "Vibration resistant hard rubber case", which seems to account for the higher price. The Exide claims to be "Medium vibration resistant" which I'm guessing is sufficient so I think I shall order one for the improved CCA rating.

Looking at the recommendations in this thread, the shipping costs are all important:

Groves Batteries         £75.68  +  £21.99* = £97.67   (*or free collection from Cheltenham)
Tayna                        £59.99 + £26.09 = £86.08
Battery Group            £79.99  + £4.99  = £84.48 (but currently out of stock)
Batteries & Solar Ltd   £79.24  FREE delivery.

I shall follow JonE's lead and go with Batteries & Solar.