The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOURGLASS STEERING BOX MOUNTING
Mutterings, ramblings and questions!
Am using the 1A6111 "Hourglass" steering box (Oct 1936 on).  I don't need the 1A6129 brake pedal fulcrum pin that holds the rear of the box on because I have hydraulic brakes and clutch (BMC engine) so just using the special front bolt that has a round head with a locating flat cut on it and a larger diameter shoulder through the box ending in a 3/8 BSF threaded portion  to take the nut -"bolt steering box to frame" 2K6201 (listed but not illustrated in parts book).
I am just putting back together after having striped car for rebuild many years ago.  It looks like at the time of fitting I just bolted the box to the chassis with the special front bolt and a plain 3/8 bolt on the rear!!!!! ......a closer examination suggests that I should have the "reinforcement, steering box to frame" 1A6130 in list but 2K6130 labeled illustration, on the inside of the chassis channel because I  see that the holes through the box are at 90 degrees to the centre line whereas the chassis slopes inwards so the bolts/nuts will be at an angle to the chassis and the 1A6130 would have remedied this by being a reverse wedge to that on the box.  I rather suspect that I did not notice this all those years ago in the early 70s and the set up has been like it with the nuts uncomfortably askew and putting a bending strain on the threaded bits for the last 70,000 odd miles!!!!  I also suspect I may have the 1A6130 somewhere in one of the many dark dirty, spider infested corners/boxes in my barns.  I suspect I disregarded the wedge as being only required under the older type box to give the correct rake on some models.
So off to search deep and carefully for 1A6130 (2K6130).  
I may yet be asking if anyone has that bit they can spare as being older and wiser do not fancy putting box back as was. 

I was also hoping to put a distance piece between inner and outer chassis sides and using a long bolt across the rear to stiffen up.......another small job that has escalated.

Dispirited Dennis
Hi Dennis... does the bit you need look a bit like this...  I can't find my parts list. I bought it a while back to use on my Speedex but changed my approach....

.jpg   20210817_195336.jpg (Size: 167.43 KB / Downloads: 190)

It is available if it's what you need...

Regards 
Nick

.jpg   20210817_200631.jpg (Size: 135.23 KB / Downloads: 182)

Found it...
Hi Nick, That is the very bit. email me at nippyblue7 (at) yahoo .co.uk with price (2nd class postage will do) and how you would like paying - can do online bank transfer - and I will return email with address. ( replace (at) with @)
You will probably have noted that both holes are 3/8 inch in spite of the special front fixing bolt , which I have ok, having a larger diameter plane part that fits in the box but is turned down and threaded 3/8 BSF for a nut.
Dennis
Austin 7 Oct. 1936 chassis 256,806 on.  Hourglass steering box 1A6111. Publication 1406C list of spare parts.

Front fastening bolt to chassis 2K6201 (not illustrated  in spare parts list)

7/8 inch diameter 1/4 inch thick head with location flat. 1/2 inch diameter for 3/4 inch fits in box casting then 3/8 inch BSF threaded for 7/8 inch. 
Rear fasting is of course with brake pedal fulcrum pin (or a 3/8 inch bolt).

Dennis
Ok Dennis, will do

good to see Dispirited has been dropped - that is what friends are for!  Cool