The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Long nose banjo parts
Hi All

I’ve just posted a wants ad but am not confident anyone will have what I’m after.  However if anyone has a long nose banjo apart and is willing to let me have some dimensions I could most probably make the parts.

I am short of the large nut that fits in the pinion end of the torque tube (and the distance piece). I think these are BP99 and BP100 in the parts list?

Thanks in advance

Howard
Are you talking about the 1931-32 type Howard?
Hi Chris

Yes.  Please read the developing thread on the “wants” page.

Cheers

Howard
OK you seem to have that in hand but if any further questions p.m. me, I do have one partly dismantled.
Hi Chris

Thanks for the offer. Please may I take you up on it?

Dave Dye can’t help so if possible I would like the dimensions of the collar.  In particular I need the depth of thread, internal diameter and the shape and size of the part that has slots for tightening.

It will be fun doing the left hand thread on my old lathe, but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Cheers

Howard
Photos of the collar below, Howard. The one on the left is LH thread, that on the right RH thread. The dimensions are the same. O/A diameter: 63.0mm. Thread Depth 11.5mm. ID 49.0mm.

I've three cars with this type of axle and have all the parts to build two other axles. I have used the later roller race on one of my cars and rather than the standard peg, simply drilled and tapped through the banjo and inserted a suitable size and suitably modified bolt to retain the bearing outer.

Steve.
Hi Steve

Perfect, as long as my screw cutting skills hold up that should be a fairly easy part to copy. I like the idea of drilling and tapping for a bolt.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Howard
Apologies for not getting back to you earlier Howard. I found my axle is a bit more built up than I remembered. But looks like you have the info now...
Hi Chris

Yes thanks.  Steve and Robert have come up trumps again!

Cheers

Howard
As far as I know all these two angular contact bearing assemblies are fitted with the Austin narrow outer ring bearings which of course must be fitted the correct way around.