The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silicone gaskets, practical experience in use...
The Cup engine has now done around 1000 miles and is bedding in quite nicely.

I used silicone base, valve chest cover and sump gaskets on this engine and took a photo this morning to show how they are doing in use, will keep the post updated.

Surfaces were spotlessly cleaned and tightened down, left 48 hours, and re-tightened. 

They have not been touched since.

That’s not an Austin Seven engine...where’s the oil!
In the drip tray?
In the sump...
So far... will keep this updated.
Since a rebuild in June 2019 my car has covered over 4000 miles with the same gasket set up and is still virtually oil leak free. The only niggly one is that after a run there is always a little bit on the bottom rear corner of the valve chest cover, but above the moulding that holds the gasket. It's either oil mist from the breather holes or the tightening down thumbs crew. The base joint is fine. All it needs is a wipe and all is well. Miles better than it was before. I have left well alone for the time being.
My silicon tappet cover gasket solved some long term sealing problems.
Hi everyone,

The supercharged 'Ulster' engine in my Wragg single seater number 8 only has one gasket and that is a solid copper head gasket all the rest are silicon but as has just been said all the surfaces are clean and perfectly flat.

I am now in my 27th season and to date have not had any oil leaks.

Regards

Peter
Very interesting post Ruairidh. Could you include bolting torques maybe?