The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another pre war poster
I suppose the caption could be

"Look! it is a ship from America with a load of real cars."

(Here to the Depression American makes predominated and until WW2 many Fords, Chevs, Plymouths, Hudsons and the up market versions were still imported or assembled.)
Good caption Bob but I think in OZ the mix between American and British vehicles was fairly even. We imported rolling chassis from both countries. Up until the Seventies I always had British cars. In retrospect the American cars and our locally produced post WW2 Holdens and Fords were far supperior for Australian conditions but the rediculous "Yank Tanks" never caught on here.
According to my late father Brit cars in and of the 20s and early 30s were regarded with some derision. the Yanks Did not crawl up modest hills in low gears. Even the slower ones like the Model T managed it in top. Photos of rural towns feature inevitable Mdel T and often no other unless some event drawing wealthy station holders in their Buicks.
Non colonialists may be interested in the post war Holden, also popular here. It had room and performance to at least match a Mk1 Zephyr but was much less expensive. Very spartan but did not devour axle shafts.