The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power outputs
(16-08-2021, 03:21 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(15-08-2021, 03:20 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I have been eying up a Kuboto 1500 four cylinder diesel from a generator set in a corner of work.
Its a bit on the large side so a three pot might be better. It would have to pass modern emmisions and be MOT tested though.

I can see that the different engine would mean the car needed an mot, but would that include modern emissions testing standards. I would expect the test to require the relevant standard for that age of

HMM. Its a minefield of useful wooliness. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria/historic-classic-vehicles-mot-exemption-criteria#acceptable-changes

90year old petrol@ 35mpg to 1990's technology diesel @ 60+ mpg. Is this not a change of running gear to improve efficiency and environmental performance?, and thus OK?

Mind, I expect one could also argue the same about fitting a 160horse (ish) Hayabusa. Though I don't think the back axle would like it for very long.
(16-08-2021, 03:21 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(15-08-2021, 03:20 PM)dickie65 Wrote: I have been eying up a Kuboto 1500 four cylinder diesel from a generator set in a corner of work.
Its a bit on the large side so a three pot might be better. It would have to pass modern emmisions and be MOT tested though.

I can see that the different engine would mean the car needed an mot, but would that include modern emissions testing standards. I would expect the test to require the relevant standard for that age of car.

I remember reading somewhere in the MOT testers' manual that the emissions test should match the age of the installed motor rather than the car. So if you decided  you really wanted an A7 motor in your Suzuki Jimny, it would only need to pass the "visible smoke" test at the MOT.  

In anything other than my rather extreme example, I'm not sure how that might work in practice with a motor that isn't fairly generally recognisable such as a Kubota unit. If you turned up for an MOT and said 'yeah mate Herbert Austin was a very early adopter of Diesel technology, this is one of very few survivors from the factory test program' Big Grin they just might not argue with you....