The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $thumblist - Line: 1031 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 1031 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/functions_post.php 832 get_post_attachments
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby mk1 wiper motor advice needed
I am working on the wiper motor and now have it running when 6v is applied to the terminals.
It would seem that it has been "worked on" in the past, mostly using a hammer and chisel!

Am I right in assuming that the curved spring touching the pull/push handle is like an on/off switch?
If so, should it make a connection when the end is resting in the groove on the handle, thereby allowing it to run, and break the connection when the handle is pulled to the off position? If so I will need to do some careful bending.

A pic of a working motor would be really useful. I have read the piece on these motors on the Cornwall club page, but the pictures are not that clear.

Thanks!
David 

The instructions on the case when new said 'Pull and Spin' which is self-explanatory. ie pushing in turns the motor off.
Might these help? The points on yours might need cleaning and adjusting.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The important bit is the knob should slide out allowing the contacts to come together as in the photo.
Really useful pictures, thank you so much.
I have had to remanufacture the contact strip as the original had broken in half. It will need some fettling to get just right.
Also, it would appear that my handle doesn’t come out far enough.
Does the handle shaft slide within the spinning motor block? Mine is fixed (or stuck) so any in/out movement of the handle also moves the block up and down.
I have removed the screw from the head of the plastic knob but it won’t come off. Shouldn't it just slide off? Mine has a small split in it so I suspect there is some corrosion and don’t want to completely break the knob.
(11-08-2021, 10:07 AM)darcher121 Wrote: Really useful pictures, thank you so much.
I have had to remanufacture the contact strip as the original had broken in half. It will need some fettling to get just right.
Also, it would appear that my handle doesn’t come out far enough.
Does the handle shaft slide within the spinning motor block? Mine is fixed (or stuck) so any in/out movement of the handle also moves the block up and down.
I have removed the screw from the head of the plastic knob but it won’t come off. Shouldn't it just slide off? Mine has a small split in it so I suspect there is some corrosion and don’t want to completely break the knob.
The knob should come off the shaft with the screw removed. One unit taken apart had a very thin-wire coil spring inside the knob - none of the others did.
One unit had the knob stuck so firmly to the shaft that it required a fine saw cut at the base of the taper and then careful prising off with a pair of small screwdrivers.
If the knob breaks, making a new one on a lathe should be too hard.
Be careful with the knob, it's bore has two flats to engage those on the shaft. The knob slides along the shaft to operate the switch and when pulled out it is used to spin start the motor. The one I had of Tony's was rusted onto the shaft and spent a couple of days with the knob submerged in Deoc C to release it
The knob is now removed!
There is a spring on the shaft which I may be able to save.
I can now see and understand exactly how it works.
Thank you all for you help and advice!
David