The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres rubbing on arches
It may not apply to a well used Seven spring but care is necessary with bolted springs when undoing as a well tensioned spring can "explode". A neighbour decades ago had an early post war Renault and knocked himself out!
Hi Decided

I will purchase the spring and fit it before the classic car show at Thorsby  on the last bank holiday so I have sent for the spring and will report back any difference in the coming weeks

Mike
(10-08-2021, 02:01 PM)Steve kay Wrote: I took the grinder to reduce the steering stops on the Ruby, in an attempt to improve the turning circle and elbow other competitors from the winner’s position on auto tests. Even with this the tyres are nowhere near rubbing inside the wheel arches. This does indeed suggest that some suspension challenges are involved, if tyres of the correct size are fitted. I use Longstones, much preferable to certain cheap and not so cheerful tyres.

Decades ago I cut wedges out of the inner wheel arch to elbow aside those who had only modified the steering stops...though be careful not to go "over-centre" or, on early cars, allow the drag link to lift up the hand-throttle lever on the cross shaft.
Ah yes, reports of the event told us that Griffiths T. had not only missed gates and markers, but had, at high speed, left the field and gone across into Staffordshire. Oh what sporting fun!
Hi currently
Trying to remove the front spring however the rear nuts on the u bolts are very hard to get at and I cannot find a way to remove them, has anybody done this job before and how do get to the rear nuts on the u bolts ?
Additionaly the spring eye bolts do not want to come out either although they are we'll lubricated 
Cheers
Mike⁴
If you remove the bottom fan pulley, the bolts will be more accessible with a very long socket extension.
Thanks Ruairdh

I will give this a go, although it looks like the cone for the starting handle seems to be more in the way

Thanks

mike
Hi All 

I have now fitted the new front spring supplied by Ian Dunford, it had its challenges with the u bolt nuts hard to get to and lining up the new spring bushes with the spring shackles, a lot of leverage required ! however it has cured the front tyres rubbing on the arches and I have lots of clearance now, I measured the distance between the ground and the top of the outer wheel arch before I fitted the spring and the car now sits 1'' higher now also

Thanks for all the advice and help

Now back to the carb flooding issue saga !

Mike