The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use of gaskets
Hi All

Up until now I’ve generally used paper gaskets supplied by one or other of the cherished suppliers. I’ve followed Woodrow in where they should go and used a smear of blue hylomar on both sides. That is apart from the block to case and sump where I’m an advocate of the silicon ones applied dry.

However I seem to remember reading that some members don’t use gaskets but rely on gasket cement alone.  

What do forum members think of omitting gaskets? If you don’t use gaskets what “goo” do you put between the surfaces?

Cheers 

Howard
There was a very good discussion about this a while ago with, if I remember a great summary of different joints and relevant goo from Steve Jones
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hi Andy

Thanks. I think I’ve found the thread now. Steve’s summary is as always excellent.

Cheers

Howard
a more recent thread suggested that someone used gaskets for standard and Steve-style for race engine (iirc). I wondered what it would be that would suggest the standard warranted the original approach? i.e. what are the advantages of paper (silicone) other than originality?
The thing to keep in mind when substituting goo for gaskets is that sometimes their thickness is important.
Can anyone say for sure how thick were the original 95 year old Factory 'paper' gaskets- heavy brown paper or light card ?
Gasket thickness influences dyn drive gear mesh, diff side gear mesh, wheel bearing clampage. Whatever is used for sump must be no cork or silicn blobs inside as ther is no oil input filter for the jets.