The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wood steaming
I used a wallpaper steamer, the pipe put into the end of a drainpipe, I used bubble wrap and gaffer tape to go from one size to the other. I then left the steamer on for about 1\2 an hour for 3\4 inch square ash. It does spring back so do make any jigs tighter curves than wanted, I found it rather trial and error in this respect.

I used a wallpaper steamer, the pipe put into the end of a drainpipe, I used bubble wrap and gaffer tape to go from one size to the other. I then left the steamer on for about 1\2 an hour for 3\4 inch square ash. It does spring back so do make any jigs tighter curves than wanted, I found it rather trial and error in this respect.
Mark - you've summed up the main reasons for NOT steaming!  It's a complete waste of time and effort.
(10-08-2021, 08:33 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: Mark - you've summed up the main reasons for NOT steaming!  It's a complete waste of time and effort.

Unless you need to steam bend replacement side rails for a wooden chassis frame as we had to quite a few years ago.
Sounds like fun, Stuart!  What sort of section of timber was involved in that?
    I made a new rear seat back using the original curved wood sections and new plywood but found they had bent out of shape so I steam bent new ones. You know when the wood is ready, it is extremely pliable and has to be clamped to the desired profile instantly as it losses it's flexibility very fast.
Very nice, Dave.

However, we make these by the dozen for all A7 models, with no steaming involved.

As you'll have gathered, as a process I detest steaming and for plywood I find that there's a very good chance of it de-laminating.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I'm largely with Martin (although many miles behind him in talent and experience). I've found steam bending a right royal pain.
I made the Fiat's bent wooden bits through lamination or joining sections together carefully. I'm also pretty convinced that by 1930 Fiat didn't steam bend anything. What was left of the original curved woodwork was all made from sections with comb joints.

Charles
That method looks very familiar, Charles!

The only problem with laminating is the number of clamps required. At the last count, we had about 75 of various sorts and on a busy day we still run out!
(11-08-2021, 09:05 AM)Martin Prior Wrote: That method looks very familiar, Charles!

The only problem with laminating is the number of clamps required.  At the last count, we had about 75 of various sorts and on a busy day we still run out!

I have about 15-20 before I have to start improvising or abusing edging clamps.
And one day my wife will ask why I have a roll of cling film in the garage

c