The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three Speed Gate Change Gearboxes
I am in the process of rebuilding one of these gearboxes and my first problem is dismantling.
In various publications there is conflicting information concerning the removal of the layshaft and I would appreciate the wisdom of this amazing forum.
If I attempt to press the shaft rearwards first gear makes very heavy contact with the protuberance in the gearbox which supports the reverse idler shaft and I though it better to seek advice before I do any damage.
Cheers
Jim Runciman
Perth, Australia
Hi Jim

I don’t quite understand your problem.  The gears on the layshaft are all free to slide and the shaft should come out leaving the gears in the case.  I think your second gear might be stuck on the key?

Cheers

Howard
(05-08-2021, 07:44 AM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi Jim

I don’t quite understand your problem.  The gears on the layshaft are all free to slide and the shaft should come out leaving the gears in the case.  I think your second gear might be stuck on the key?

Cheers

Howard

Agreed.

Make sure there's not a wear lip on the layshaft preventing something moving.

c
If I recall correctly, there are two diffferent designs of three-speed boxes. I think there was a change in the method the selector fork rods are fitted in 1929-30. Might this be causing the problem?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Hi Rick

I believe the change was in the orientation of the gears.  Instead of reverse and first on the right it changed to being on the left. This coincided with the change from a gate to a simple ball.  The only internal differences are the selectors and the selector rods. Once these are out of the case the rest is identical.

Cheers

Howard
When the layshaft keys break, which is common, it set's up burs on the shaft which can be had to drive out of the case and through the cluster. Warming the cluster helps but you will almost certainly need a new layshaft once you have it out.
Black Art Enthusiast