The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chummy clutch pedal lever slippage
Advice please.

I've found that on the 1927 Chummy the clutch pedal lever is rotating on the shaft.

I have tried tightening the pinch bolt ( I assume it is a pinch bolt) but it feels as if the thread has gone.

It is impossible to remove the bolt as it will foul on the chassis so I presume the answer is to undo engine mounting bolts etc and raise the engine/gearbox and inch or more so the bolt can come out. Assuming the thread has gone, shall I replace the bolt with a nut and bolt arrangement?
Have been kindly told it should have a cotter pin. Looks as if I am dealing with a P/O mod/bodge...
Correct. This area needs to be checked before gearbox installation as it is almost impossible to work on with the engine/gearbox in the car. You might be able to lift the engine and get access but it would be easier to take the engine out. I can do it in about an hour on my Chummy; getting it back in takes a bit longer. Gearbox is another half hour to remove once the engine is out.
The clutch is completely non-adjustable as the pedal arm is locked to the shaft by the cotter on 3 speed models, hence the 3 operating levers height needs to be checked before installation to ensure a working clutch as this is the only variable in the mechanism.