The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Death of special building in NZ
(03-08-2021, 10:03 PM)Ian Williams Wrote: Simon, you can be too honest as I tried to tell you! Your rolling chassis is as you found it other than you have completely restored it, but everything is still standard Austin specification. When you purchased the car the body work was totally beyond salvage so you have built a period correct body for it ( abet 1950's style construction, but that not an issue ) that falls nicely into the VCC dating criteria. There were two recent cases of A7 builds here where one guy built a special carried out and proudly told the inspectors about every modification he could think of, and as a result he went through the mill trying to get it registered. Another where the owner was more restrained, carried out only pre war style mods, with his own take on bodywork and it flew through. There is a crowd in Auckland who a sympathetic to our cause, I thought I had given you a card, certainly some of the other guys in the Auckland body building group have them, afraid my records are still with the rest of my stuff in Auckland. I hear that because of the drive towards an electric revolution authorities are trying the make it harder and harder for fossil fuel cars to be on the road but I feel sure that if you speak to the RIGHT people you will get there.
On that note to meet current demand and fuel our power stations we are now (2021) as a country importing more then double the coal (which is the dirtiest fossil fuel) into out country than we did in 2017 and 2018 combined and struggling with our aged infrastructure to distribute that power. That will change of course once we dam a few more rivers for hydro, build further geothermal power stations, wind farms and totally overhaul the national grid. But we do have a couple of years to do that and you know how quickly we undertake major infrastructure projects in NZ..... just look at transmission gully!

Probably a sensitive issue but how is Christchurch progressing ?
Oh, regarding it being harder and harder for fossil fuel cars being on the road it looks like they are going to stop refining petrol at Marden Point soon: https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/4484...an-analyst

So soon all our petrol (and diesel too I guess) will be imported. Doesn't seem like a risky move at all.....

Simon
                Simon,
Bruce from Whangarei here, with my car looking like a car but lots of work to do yet before it is drivable.
I joined the NZ VCC as I though that a car identity from them would help get it through the system. The inspector and his predecessor both said "we don't want to see the car until it is finished".
There is lots of advice out there from people who have gone through the system and it all conflicts.  I also hear about cars that after years of building, and expense, the builder just gives up.
A year ago I decided I had to get on top of this and after speaking to at least four inspectors including VTNZ I realized I needed to keep a log of progress and who I talk to.
I recently found out about the DOMAS form which could have been helpful a bit earlier.  So far the VCC have been of little help and the inspector thinks my car may not be club eligible!  Just been to the VCC this morning and the inspector realized that he was confused about what I was doing.  Sending him photos shortly but I see little reason to bother with the VCC identity at the moment.
The Vintage Austin Register and its members have been more helpful and my chassis is registered on the British club web site.
After a long session with an inspector a year ago at VTNZ it was agreed that they will give it a VIN and that the body will be certified as a modification.  I am booked to take it in tomorrow for a VIN number so that will give it a system number.  The inspector rang many people while I was there and I kept saying it is an original chassis with a sports body.  I then said but everyone calls them an Ulster but it is not a factory name.  Fiddling with his phone his face lit up when he saw lots of photos of similar cars as Ulsters.  I had photos with me to show him.
My current worry is that that inspector has move sideways to the truck division.  I will let you know how it goes.  I have most parts for the next car but am reconsidering that plan.  Crochet next?
I will try an add a couple of photos.    
Bruce
Hi Bruce, I found that the VCC forms weren’t enough when I put the ruby back on the road with VTNZ here in Whangarei a couple of years ago. Had to then have the repairs to the body  certified as well. Lucky had lots of photos of the work done by previous owner, and the inspector had a good relationship with the panel shop that was rebuilding the jupiter for me at the time and was able to get it signed off.

Then again a lot of the testers don’t seam to know the rules them selves as well. My nephew had a 80s Toyota celica gt and gets them trying to fail it on what they think are modifications that are in fact factory options
Ian, Would you be referring to a company in Archers Rd, Auckland?  I called on them away back and all sounded good but I heard that they have closed up. Whangarei Hot Rodders and Vintage people were trailering cars down to them. 
Just had a ring from VTNZ reminding me of tomorrows appointment for a VIN.  Bit apprehensive!   Bruce.
Good luck Bruce! I am still struggling to understand what the VCC forms are used for and where they are helpful. No one seems to know. The problem with trying to talk to the 'right' people is you only need to hit the wrong one once to end up in a big mess.
Simon,
That did not work. Despite what they said a year ago I was now told I have to do the following –
1/  Vehicle Identity application from Vintage Car Club of New Zealand, (VCC NZ).  This begins with form filling, a Date of manufacture & Authenticity Statement (DOMAS). 
A Statutory Declaration for a motor vehicle that has limited documents available, form, provided with every DOMAS.
2/  Apply for an Alternative Documents form. (CA03) NZTA.  This should provide a letter.
3/  With the above paper work accepted, go to Vehicle Transport New Zealand (VTNZ) to get a VIN Plate issued and affixed.
4/  Find a contract Certifier to check the new body under the Low Volume Vehicle (LVV) certification.
5/  To VTNZ for a Compliance Inspection which if passed will also give me a Warrant of Fitness (WoF)
6/  Go purchase a set of Registration Plates.
After Registration I could apply for the identity card from VCC.
The NZTA CA03 form Note 1 – These documents must be provided before the application can proceed. This doesn’t make sense. This is why the form exists!
I have emailed them and had an instant automatic reply hoping to deal with my email in 20 days.
Even the VCC forms have glitches in them.
I have now talked with seven vehicle inspectors!  Have not got very far yet. No one really knows what they are doing.  My car is a long way from road worthy but I want get things underway but it is not easy.
I will be interested in any responses to your questions at bottom of post #10.
So it seems that I will have to begin the VCC ID process.  If you don’t need an ID to help get through compliance or want to race, or enter Vintage Targa, or hill climbs, then the ID will only be helpful for club administration to know numbers and types of cars in the membership. 
Cheers,  Bruce.  Whangarei.
Hi Bruce, that matches how I understand things to work too.

That CA03 form is a mystery. There is no explanation that I can find anywhere except what is on the form itself. It was the chap at VTNZ when I rang about booking an inspection who told me about that. The letter is what lets the VTNZ people know the car is allowed to get a VIN to get it into the system I think.

The only vague explanation of the process I could find is on the LVVTA forum from a few years ago in post here: https://lvvta.proboards.com/thread/501/s...rt-process

I have the DOMAS which is like a provisional VIC. The statutory declaration of no documents you need to have witnessed by a JP. Apparently my initial DOMAS was wrong in that it didn't have the 'needs LVVTA' bit checked apparently. So I am waiting for the new one to arrive then I can do the CA03 part. Then get the VIN then get the LVVTA part done and then get the VTNZ compliance done.

Simon