The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running board covers

.jpg   seven running board.jpg (Size: 45.34 KB / Downloads: 232)

I am about to fit these running board covers to my mk 1 Ruby. They are fibreglass replicas of the rubber ones and I bought them over thirty years ago.

How should I attach them? Should I use sealer around all of the edges to keep the rain out? Or am I better to use 4 bolts and no sealer at all? Then they can always be removed to inspect for any rust.
Have you seen the new rubber ones available from today's suppliers? They really do look the part - and can be glued on or fastened with a strong double-sided tape. Somewhere in the garage roof I'm sure I have a pair of the fibreglass ones...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I too purchased the fibre glass replicas the same thirty years or so ago, however as Tony says the new rubber replicas are far superior, so bought and fitted them instead.
The fibre glass versions are now hidden away!!
Denis S
I’d go for the rubber too, fibreglass can be “Slippery when wet”
Who remembers them I wonder?
It seems a waste to not use the ones I've got. And the rubber ones are over a hundred pounds by the time carriage is added on. But with fibreglass or rubber, how best to avoid a damp rust trap?
Hi all,we still have fibreglass running boards on our Ruby, again bought 30+years ago. But bought a pair of rubber covers down at the750 rally, will fit them early next year when our Ruby will be off the road for a bit of" TLC". S&P.
I had fibreglass ones when I bought my RP that cracked and warped. Their lack of flex meant that they didn't stick well to the steel panels. I tried to reattach but they came away.
I chucked them and bought some rubber ones about 5 years ago. Protected the metal under and then attached all over with sikaflex and they still look good. The flex in the rubber versions mean they fit to the inevitable contours, with small gaps filled with the sikaflex.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Fitted new rubber covers to my Opal a few months ago — with very good results.
Would advise getting a good fit ‘dry’ ie before you stick rubber to tin, after which you re committed ( not to an asylum)
Use black Tiger Seal adhesive/sealant after cleaning tin and abrading underside of rubber. This will ensure a good bond. I found a good spread ( not too thick) of adhesive over both surfaces to work well.

Good luck.

Should have added that clamping surfaces together will prove useful. I simply cut a ply template with a polystyrene layer between to avoid pressure points.