The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cam pulley noise
On my 34 two bearing engine Pearl I have a mysterious whistle from the cam pulley.

I have the radiator and cowl off at present.

The whistle is there even when the belt and felt seal are removed. I have tried another ancient damaged pulley and this to makes a whistle. ( different key though)

Running with the pulley off, no whistle.  No sign of any shiny rubbing on pulley or inside pulley hole viewed with a torch. No marks indicating fretting or anything

I am going to take off the dynamo mounting and  trumpet for a look.

This started in the heat wave a couple of weeks ago in a traffic jam.

I have since checked head and manifold gaskets- I was checking valves .

Has anyone come across this before ?
High-pitched noises from front end?
Only two things come to mind - I'm sorry if perhaps they don't quite fit the description.

1. Fan spindle needs greasing?
2. An issue with dynamo gear mesh (e.g. wrong gasket thickness to housing is enough to cause a high frequency whine).
Is the whistle still apparent when the fan belt is removed?
Thanks for responses.

Yes the whistle is there when the belts off. If I remove the felt seal its still there with the pulley back on.

Running the engine without the pulley and the noise stops. Using a different pulley and the tome changes.

It is definitely the pulley but ive just taken off the dynamo holding case and the front trumpet and can see no signs of rubbing or anything.

Ive machined a little of the back of the pulley spigot and a little at the front . Its not hard up against the cam gear.

On the pulley and the seal theres no sign of rubbing. 

Its a light , high pitch whistle . The tone is exactly the same as the pitch of tapping the pulley on the bench returns. 

Ive reassembled the engine and tried lathering the felt seal in grease. Although the noise is there with the seal off and the pulley in place.

With the felt seal on, I can see it turning with the pulley.

Definitely not the fan spindle or the gears whining.  Not the starter handle drifting in either.

I may end up having to leave it and wait for it to go away or wear something enough to see.

Thanks for ideas though
And now ive broken the pulley trying to tighten it to much.
But , measuring the diameter of the outside of the 2015 pulley boss, the bit the inner part of the felt seal sits on. it about 1mm bigger than the two older broken ones I have.

Not big enough to interfere with the fit in the engine nose casting, just a bit bigger than usual.
New pulley fitted and whilst I can still hear a whistle , its quieter. I cant hear it in the car with the fan belt on either so, ill wait to see if it gets worse.