The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stopping distances !!
I dont know the wording of the Highway Code but presumably based on typical vehicle, often laden, on everyday surface. Many 40 year and older cars would come very close to those figures, esp for a single stop. Road tets used to give figues from 30 mph and most  within  a foot or two.Hard to establish just where brakes applied. Cars have acheived very close to 100% from 30 mph for many decades. The main gain due broad tyres and the ABS but on rough bitumen may not gain much. 
As previous more concerning is the relative requirment for trucks, and the very hgh number found to be defective in checks. Prone to  fade and high speeds not tested. Prior ABS distribution vs load somewhat random. And a big allowance is given  for all the system delays.
This post about stopping distances made me remember my road roller licence test, taken on a 1918 Steam Roller.

The examiner wanted me to do an emergency stop. We were already using bottom gear (3mph or so max) without telling him as that particular roller has no brakes (except reverse). Top gear gives about 6mph.....

I think he was worried I might run him over. He jumped out from behind a telegraph pole (I could see him anyway) about 200yards in front of me and shouted 'stop' raised his hands blah blah blah. At about 2mph it probably took me longer to take the smirk off my face than it did to close the regulator (throttle) and roll to a halt. All in about 20 foot.

''Wow, it stops much better than I expected''.....I'm not entirely sure how long he thought it might take to slow from 2mph, but I dare say that had I actually tried, I could have stopped it in about 10 foot. But there was no fears I was going to run him over.