The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saenz rods - shell type?
(05-01-2018, 09:51 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Ruairidh,Are your Saenz rods split conventionally or at 45 deg ? I believe there are both.
I've measured a Phoenix rod bore which measures 41.3mm and takes R4 shells.
And a Saenz rod which measures 41.03mm ?

Dave

The real test is to see if R4 shells fit in the Saenz rods and try them on a Phoenix crank. 
i don't know how you measured the rod but according to the bearing specs your Phoenix rods have bores that are too big for the shells!

Charles
I haven't got any shells!
(06-01-2018, 12:15 AM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: I haven't got any shells!
Some in the post tomorrow that will be ideal for solving this one.
I tend to keep the ones that I swap out and use them for dummy builds
Charles
I will await further news with interest.

Thank you both.
The master plan hit a barrier as I was driving to work with a Jiffy bag for Dave on the passenger seat.
My crank is ground 0.25mm undersized and therefore all my used shells are the wrong size for Dave's rods and crank!

Bother.

Charles
I still think it would be helpful to see if the shell fits into the rod - it is the register that I understand to be different (can this be checked by comparing the rods?).
(05-01-2018, 11:30 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 09:51 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Ruairidh,Are your Saenz rods split conventionally or at 45 deg ? I believe there are both.
I've measured a Phoenix rod bore which measures 41.3mm and takes R4 shells.
And a Saenz rod which measures 41.03mm ?

Dave

The real test is to see if R4 shells fit in the Saenz rods and try them on a Phoenix crank. 
i don't know how you measured the rod but according to the bearing specs your Phoenix rods have bores that are too big for the shells!
It's surprising how much difference tightening the big end cap makes! Phoenix is 41.13.Double checked the saenz rod and its 41.03 and the location slots for the shells are on the opposite side,so no the R4 shells won't fit.

Charles

Any recommendations where to get the right Renault 4 shells?
I have received further information.

R4 shells will not fit the Saenz rods directly because:

1. The nib/tan/register is on the opposite side to the Saenz.

2. The O/D of the R4 shell is greater requiring precision honing of the Saenz rod.

A 1990s Honda Civic shell will fit but is incredibly scarce to source, apparently.

EDIT: Dave - I see you confirmed the differences noted in 1 and 2 above earlier - your reply was within a comment Charles made so I did not see it at first.
(08-01-2018, 08:34 AM)IRuairidh Dunford Wrote: I still think it would be helpful to see if the shell fits into the rod - it is the register that I understand to be different (can this be checked by comparing the rods?).

(08-01-2018, 08:08 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have received further information.

R4 shells will not fit the Saenz rods directly because:

1.  The nib/tan/register is on the opposite side to the Saenz.

2.  The O/D of the R4 shell is greater requiring precision honing of the Saenz rod.

A 1990s Honda Civic shell will fit but is incredibly scarce to source, apparently.

EDIT:  Dave - I see you confirmed the differences noted in 1 and 2 above earlier - your reply was within a comment Charles made so I did not see it at first.

Thanks R. Problem solved.

I can't see a suitable sized Honda shell in the 2016 Glyco catalogue so your source is spot on about scarcity. The same Glyco catalogue lists Renault 4. 

Charles
Charles, I have ordered what appears to be the correct shells for the Saenz rods, I will update when they arrive.They are not Honda.
As you say, the Ren 4 shells won't fit, the Saenz tunnel is .005" smaller than the required housing for the Renault shells.
Best Wishes