The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brake cable
I'm sure this must have been asked many times before but what do you use to stop the brake cable fraying and is there a way of cutting it as mine is about 8 inches too long ?
https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...p?tid=3007
Just as an aside it may be helpful to know that the trade know wire cables as "wire rope" There are small family firms out there that supply everything from very thick crane wire rope to take many tons, down to around 5mm wire rope as used in many modern car window winders..........a local Devon firm supplied me 2 pairs,made up on the spot when I called in out of the blue, for my Renault Espace for £15 including swaging on ends (just a few years ago at that price!.........Renault wanted a very large sum to provide only new full mechanism...no spares.
If it's a rear brake cable, just poke the loose end into the cross-shaft.
If it's an adjustable front cable, fold it back on itself and whip the end on to the cable.
I have used heat-shrink sleeving to keep the end tidy.

David
An aside but the original cables were to length and rretained by a conical wedge. One of the hydro dams here has a magnificent foot swing bridge. I was bemused to find the terminal cable anchored the same way.
An angle grinder cuts brake cable cleanly. Heat shrink holds the end together.
Jim
And yet another aside which might interest some. The wire in strong steel cable has an uts often in excess of 100 tons per sq inchi, making it size for size amongst the very strongest of steel components. Ordinary hardwre bolts are about 30 tsi and ht about 45
if the rear brakes are fraying badly, adopt the "adjusting" mod to add a turnbuckle, adding this new section means the rear brake cable can be shortened to compensate...