The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Your petrol of choice ??
(25-06-2022, 06:38 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: I did another check today and Sainsburys is still 3s and 6p cheaper per gallon and the masses are learning with all the pumps for cars with left hand fillers full and a queue for them but I can fill the Seven from either side. Now for the good news Boris is to ask the  EU to reduce the ethanol content of fuel, made from corn and wheat, to try to reduce the pending world food crisis caused by the Ukrainian war.
Update:
He's not asked the EU but "...will call on G7 leaders to review their own biofuel use, in a move that could help mitigate the global food crisis....the UK is pushing for discussions on cutting the amount of biofuel used globally by 10 per cent to be on the agenda at Sunday’s G7 summit."
"On Thursday, Government "sources" said cutting the use of crop-based biofuels would mean the requirement for the greener fuel to be the main offering at petrol stations would have to be temporarily dropped. Britain sources more than 20 per cent of the ethanol used to create its biofuel from Ukraine. Land used globally to grow crops for the UK biofuel market could feed 3.5 million people if it was converted to food. But the Government could also act unilaterally to reduce the amount of crops used in British biofuels."
Dustin Benton, policy director at the Green Alliance and a former adviser on the Government’s food strategy, said reducing crop-based biofuels would almost certainly mean temporarily lifting the E10 requirement on forecourts, because the UK would not be able to pivot to alternative sources of biofuel quickly enough.
Well, we'll see what really happens. Will E10 just disappear? Will E5 replace it?
I normally use the nearest available unbranded e10 petrol and add the appropriate dose of Ethomix.

I was lucky to source a bronze Zenith carb early on in my ownership, the original was crumbling away, and also wrapped the exhaust under the carb with the stuff normally seen on Harley Davidsons..

Thus far I have not experienced any problems. The supply line is filtered with a modern in line unit and seems to be keeping clear.

I've never checked the mpg but it seems to be ok. 

The Ethomix seems, as per the manufacturers claims, to stop the E10 corrosion in the tank and fuel lines.

I look forward to your results
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
My BSA (1023 V twin) will not run to full throttle on E10. I filled it to the top by mistake and wondered what on earth was wrong with it as it was sounding as if there were air leaks all through the inlet/carburettor department. I tried everything I could think of to find an air leak, cleaned plugs, checked timing and gave up. The car would run OK up to half throttle, about 45-50mph in third, but as soon as I put my foot down to get up to a good cruising speed it was pinking and banging away like fun.
I called the BSA guru (Simon Berringer) and he immediately pointed at the fuel saying there had been many similar reports from other owners. The low compression ratio doesn't help. I drained some and added E5 and kept topping it up and the problem has gone away. I use Millers octane enhancer additive which has been successful in the past.
I'm using straight E10 in the Chummy (~500 miles this year) and the Top Hat (~430 miles this year), and I can report no adverse effects at all due to petrol stability. 

Both were stored over the winter period with full(ish) tanks and there was no evidence of water condensate in either of the tanks in the spring.

No snake-oil additives used.
(27-06-2022, 11:35 PM)Parazine Wrote: I'm using straight E10 in the Chummy (~500 miles this year) and the Top Hat (~430 miles this year), and I can report no adverse effects at all due to petrol stability. 

Both were stored over the winter period with full(ish) tanks and there was no evidence of water condensate in either of the tanks in the spring.

No snake-oil additives used.
Exactly the same for me. Thankfully, no trouble whatsoever.
I've had no trouble at all with the scuttle tank cars running E10,

One of the fibre disks in the T type pump on the rear tank car played silly buggers in the spring. Of course probably unrelated as I've not touched the pump in the 5 years I've had the car, no idea when dad last messed with it. The diaphram was still nice and supple so it went back in. No issues since.

I did however make sure that I stored them over winter with basically 'super' in them, no idea if it was E5 or ethanol free, I just did the last fill up with Super to limit the amount of ethanol in there over winter..
You know how you can get those pint glasses that continually refill with beer every time you drain them? - anyone know where you can get petrol tanks like that?
??????? what on gods's earth is an " on board Diagnostics" ??--an oil pressure button?

Oliver Paymter-Guinness
The driver?
I have found the E98 suits my RN more than the 95 and fuel vaporisation under the hot French sun 36 deg C plus much reduced. I do not know why this should be though.