The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heater
Seconded. A heater seems superfluous for me as I drive with the window open unless it's absolutely freezing, which to be fair is not very often down here.
The attraction of an Austin Seven is it’s simplicity. There is nothing on the car that is not essential to its operation. As far as I am concerned, all this extra equipment, like heaters, air con, electric windows etc that adorn modern cars are simply more things to go wrong. It is no coincidence that the most dependable car in the Stepney collection of rare and interesting vehicles (ha ha) is the Seven.
(03-07-2021, 09:44 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: John, I’m for the simple life, I’m not even bothered the petrol gauge doesn’t work!

Petrol gauge?    What's wrong with the dip stick.?  

Blush
(29-06-2021, 10:22 PM)Jamie Wrote: I am far, far away from needing a heater yet, but I had wondered how effective a metal jacket around the exhaust pipe would be if a pipe were run to vent from the jacket into the...

Like a beetle or a 2CV... not much risk of death when the exhaust rusts through as it's not exactly hermetically sealed!
(03-07-2021, 10:46 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote:
(29-06-2021, 10:22 PM)Jamie Wrote: I am far, far away from needing a heater yet, but I had wondered how effective a metal jacket around the exhaust pipe would be if a pipe were run to vent from the jacket into the...

Like a beetle or a 2CV... not much risk of death when the exhaust rusts through as it's not exactly hermetically sealed!

I would expect the risk was quite high, exhaust fumes rendering the driver unable to control the car, thus crashing.
Simplest heater can be made from the top third of a gallon metal oil can strapped to the top of the radiator. A hose from the can outlet to a hole through the bulkhead provides plenty of heat once the engine has warmed up and the car is moving! To turn it off, stuff a rag in the open end of the hose!

PH
That had occurred to me. I was mulling making the thing double-skinned, but that just delays the inevitable.

Regards,

Jamie
I had the bits and was bored during lock down, and I like to use my cars all year. The alternator is to provide lighting to see and be seen. Everything can be returned to standard as I don't throw anything away. Pete
Hmm, 2CV semi competition stainless side emission exhaust, I think I might go back to the workshop to find something else to worry about. If we can sit free of cares with a Chummy scuttle petrol tank over our knees, exhausts cause no anxiety.

Oh, that was meant to be a reply to another series of thoughts, not to appear on its own.
(03-07-2021, 10:57 AM)Peter Hamstead Wrote: Simplest heater can be made from the top third of a gallon metal oil can strapped to the top of the radiator. A hose from the can outlet to a hole through the bulkhead provides plenty of heat once the engine has warmed up and the car is moving! To turn it off, stuff a rag in the open end of the hose!

PH

There must have been a kit that did just that Peter. I have memories from 1967 of seeing such a device on the back of the radiator of a 1950s Ford Pop. It wasn't home made.

(30-06-2021, 10:23 AM)David Stepney Wrote: In winter weather, I find that it’s my hands that get cold. 

Today driving my seven for the first time in the rain, I found it has a handwarmer... the electric wiper motor gets quite hot on 12 volts!