The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Grease Guns Properly
There is much to be said fo the origianl guns with a cork follow up plunger. Spring loaded guns press the oil out of the grease and make a lot of mess unless used up rapidly.
After a couple of times trying to use a standard grease gun, it occurred to me that filling a gun without mess requires a plan.  Don't know what others do, but I unscrew the barrel and trap the the gun vertically in a Workmate to hold it, then pull back the plunger against the spring and trap it by wedging in an old box spanner.  Grease is then spooned into the barrel (using a tea spoon kept for this purpose) and air bubbles coaxed out until it can be levelled off at the top.  The barrel is then screwed back into the rest of the gun (trapped in the Workmate) and any small excess wiped from the barrel.  Removing the box spanner applies the spring pressure. 

Originally, I used to juggle two guns under the car because of the two types of nipple.  Some of the clip-on ones were worn and did not seal well.  So, I decided to put new nipples everywhere.  Greasing has been simpler since.  I have enough of the brass originals should the next owner want to swap them back.

Once there is no leakage or other loss, the amount of grease used is small.
A handy tip i was given years ago, if a grease nipple doesnt want to take grease, put a old rag over it then put the gun nossle on trapping the rag, this creates a better seal and grease then goes in no problem.
Spooning the grease into the gun seems a real faff. Simply use a tin of grease with a plate in it, hold the empty tube of the gun onto the plate and pull up the piston as you press down onto the tin of grease. Easy when you get used to it.

The best thing I ever did was to buy a gun that could hold a full tin of grease.
Hi Andrew,
Intrigued by your method but cannot understand it. Can you give a few more words about the size and shape of the plate or do a diagram, 
Thanks 
Graham Barker
Some tin s of grease have close fitting ‘inner lid’ with central hole in it. Pushing down on this extrudes a column of grease from the hole. The standard way of filling grease guns was to remove the end cap and place the gun’s body over the hole and push down. The grease would exude from the hole straight into the gun.
Thanks for that explanation. Sounds great. I can make a plate with a hole to do just that. Should make filling the gun almost blissful.
Graham Barker
"Some tin s of grease have close fitting ‘inner lid’ with central hole in it. Pushing down on this extrudes a column of grease from the hole. The standard way of filling grease guns was to remove the end cap and place the gun’s body over the hole and push down. The grease would exude from the hole straight into the gun."
You know, I'd clean forgotten about those tins of grease. Too much time spent staring into a 60 litre sized drum of the stuff I guess.
Good news. I fitted a new end piece to my grease gun this evening. It now works perfectly without leaking, but with fresh grease oozing out of the joint where it would be expected.

Thank you for the advice.

Jamie.
What make gun, what make end piece(nozzle), Price, where from?