The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Grease Guns Properly
Daft question number 352.

I have never had much success using grease guns: the grease usually splurges out around the joint between the nozzle and the nipple, with nothing going in. On modern fittings, should the nozzle lock on to the nipple or just press up against it? I have a second hand Lazer brand gun and wonder whether I need a new end to it.

Regards,

Jamie.
Mine locks on to the (modern) nipples. Mind you, I usually get more grease on me than through the grease points because the guns are really fiddly to fill and I end up getting very, very slippy!
Grease nipples is a surpisingly complex world with many differing standards. Some while back, I came across this company - https://www.kingfisherlubrication.co.uk/ Upon enquiry it transpired that they still manufacture and sell grease nipples that will fit our cars. I purchased a set - admittedly not particularly cheap and postage was a bit steep, but as well as the selecton of grease nipples the correct 'union' for the end of a grease gun was also provided. This was a well worth exercise, even given the expense, as the system works flawlessly..

They also have a Facebook presence, for those so inclined, and that would be an easy way to send a messge if you wished to contact them

https://www.facebook.com/kingfisherlubrication/

hth...
There are nozzles with 3 jaws and some with 4 jaws. I too have had the problem of squirting out at the nipple with even a tested clear nipple. Recently bought a (more expensive) nozzle end with 4 jaws and it worked a lot better, but just would not go onto a new nipple I had just fitted (!/4 UNF on my Scimitar) so had to find another 1/4 UNF in spares box that it would fit on. Used micrometer to compare diameter, it was that close.
I still have bad feelings at having to leaver gun off sideways but it seems only way to get it off as obviously pulling strait is what happens when you pull leaver and grease goes in under pressure and should get locked so no side leakage round ball.

Mick Hanna.....modern cartridge gun.....you just put the cartridge of grease into outer shell and screw cap back on....theoretically no mess!

Dennis
Hi All

I recently bought one of these having got fed up with loading my full size gun.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0018LFR4Y/r...UTF8&psc=1

So far so good. Cartridges may prove a bit pricy but it is nice and small for fiddly places.

You do need to change all the nipples to the modern type.

Cheers

Howard
With modern nipples (as used in the 1960s) and an ordinary cheap gun, I find no problem. Maybe the secret is learning how to use the adjustable end, that fits onto the nipple. Too loose and grease will leak out everywhere. Too tight and the gun will not come off the nipple. It's worth having a play with the end on your gun.
Thank you for the replies. I have had another play with the nozzle and it seems to be broken. I have ordered a replacement, so fingers crossed.

Regards,

Jamie
The original nipples were spherical and the applicator matched and just pushed against. Any damge of the soft brass and leaked.
The harder 1960s type with a sharp rim  seal ditto .if the rim is burred or dented will leak.
Possibly now banned as dangerous but lube bays used needle point guns as these are relativley immune to damaged/dirty nipples. I have used these on a manual gun.
The original brass nipples retain the original look, even if you have to unscrew and substiute a modern for greasing
Thanks Dennis. Unfortunately mine won't take a cartridge. It's one of those that has to be plunged into the grease can and the grease is forced through the hole in the tin's internal cover. If the gun isn't locked properly (and it quite often doesn't hold) it all escapes, hence the greasy mess. It's still a very useful tool though.
I use the Alemite version of Howard's Hilka and usually try to refill the empty cartridges as much as possible, although the Alemite can also be bulk filled by reversing the piston. As I have mentioned before, I think, I also break from tradition and use the NLGI 00 grade  Penrite steering box lubricant instead of grease, way less mess and it seems to go all around the moving parts instead of simply escaping out through the area with the most clearance, also it can be more or less poured into the gun or recycled cartridge possibly with a little assistance from a bucket of warm water... Having spent what seemed an inordinate amount of time as an apprentice on the end of a bulk-filled manual grease gun I found that spooning the grease into the gun barrel using (preferably some one else's 12 inch steel rule) was a far better dodge than the plunge into the bulk drum method. This way you can clamp the piston rod (the one you pull out to lock and load) in the vice, pull on the barrel to extend and lock it and away you go with minimal mess.
As others have suggested, snap on type grease gun chucks are usually adjustable, and sometimes using a bit of rag over the nipple before attaching the chuck stops the dreaded ooze from obstinate nipples. This dodge also works with needles.
Dennis Nicholas : try a flexible connection on your gun, they're intended for power greasing outfits (they're available in various lengths) but you should be able to find something to suit your hand gun. It does make life a lot easier, especially when you have to crack the chuck off the nipple in some inaccessible spot.