The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Nickel Plating
(02-06-2021, 11:12 AM)Tony Betts Wrote: tony,

there always used to be a small company in mexborough called prestige polish and plate.

been in the business for decades, its a small family company. 01709 577004

ive used them for over 10 years because they understand the car and motorcylce world. and have a good understanding of what different metals need to get a good plate.

unless they have been killed of by covid along with everything else of course.

do let us know if they are still going, as i need parts nickling myself.

tony

Information from Steve Jones "The company I think you're looking for is Prestige Plating who ARE in Mexborough. They don't have a web site but the address is Unit 6 Cliff St, Mexborough S64 9HU, telephone 01709 577004"
I've just phoned to check - but the call was not answered.....perhaps it's lunchtime? I'll try later.
Oops!! Roger Perkins is someone I knew a lot of years ago who has nothing to do with plating whatsoever! Last I heard of him was when he was convicted of murder (he hit his victim with a large con rod from a steam engine) and went off to stay in a prison Dodgy

Bruce is right of course, it's Brian Perkins who runs Prestige Plating. I don't imagine they're related.

Steve Blush

PS: And yes, as far as I remember they do close for lunch. They also used to close for two weeks in the Summer coinciding with what used to be 'Pit Holidays'.
Out of interest, when did the plating go from Nickel to chrome? The chummy I've just bought has a mixture. Nickel cowl, rest is Chrome. Its a early coil chummy, late 1928
I believe chroming on Sevens was introduced in around September 1929; my RM (May 1931) still has nickel-plated instrument bezels and steering-column control levers.
Our chummy is all nickel, manufactured July/August 1929.
nickle or chrome on old cars is a little more personal choice nowadays.

i say that as the only nickle we seam to get offered is called bright nickle, its closer to looking like chrome when new. it does colour down a little with age. but never gets anywere near the old fasioned nickle.

some cars i have or have built ive gone for bright nickle even though they should be chrome, because it is a little softer looking when it ages. rather than the sharp glear of chrome

tony

steve.

i often seam to now how roger perkins feels.

last night i witnessed one of the dog walkers cars being stollen, dont even know what happened to the owner? no call back from local police.

the night before wilst walking the dog, at first i thought i had been hit from behind with a baseball bat. it was actually a full bottle of fizzy orange, thrown from a hothatch doing 90mph by a w**ker. it hit me with the same force. nearly taking me to my knees.

arming up with a large conrod sounds good to me.

tony
There are still places that will do dull/satin Nickel plating. Recently I've had several lots of plating done here https://www.colmorfinishing.co.uk/ who do Nickel plating as well as chrome. The quality has always been excellent, I haven't found their prices to be hair raising; the turn round times have been good too; that's often an issue in my experience, where a project is stalled because a plater has had your stuff for a couple of months. I also have used Ashford plating in the past -but only on one occasion.
01709 577004 Try these. Prestige plating. They are in Mexborough. Have had lots done over the years. The price you got quoted is bordering on obscene. Based on stuff I have had done in the past I would suggest £20 to £25 max. It’s a family company who run old cars themselves. 
Kevin.
(02-06-2021, 05:20 PM)jonblob33 Wrote: 01709 577004 Try these. Prestige plating. They are in Mexborough. Have had lots done over the years. The price you got quoted is bordering on obscene. Based on stuff I have had done in the past I would suggest £20 to £25 max. It’s a family company who run old cars themselves. 
Kevin.

Thanks, Kevin I will persist in trying to contact them.