The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - June 2021
Following on from Henry's remark about Temple Press, formed in 1840, it went on to published The Motor from 1903. Many of it's review cars would therefore to be found in the vicinity of Rosebury Avenue where they were based from 1895 to 1939.

An excellent and fascinating account of the history of the Company may be found in " Bouverie Street to Bowling Green Lane - 55 years of Specialized Publishing " Hodder & Stoughton, 1946.
If it was No 42 on Harley St, then this might be relevant...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(02-06-2021, 08:31 AM)Chris Garner Wrote: Following on from Henry's remark about Temple Press, formed in 1840, it went on to published The Motor from 1903. Many of it's review cars would therefore to be found in the vicinity of Rosebury Avenue where they were based from 1895 to 1939.

An excellent and fascinating account of the history of the Company may be found in " Bouverie Street to Bowling Green Lane - 55 years of Specialized Publishing " Hodder & Stoughton, 1946.

Bowling Green Lane and much of Roseberry Avenue have few prewar buildings left and on the whole that part of Clerkenwell was badly damaged. However, Wilmington Square, just to the north of Roseberry Avenue, retains the much of the original buildings despite being partially rebuilt, and shows the streets that may have been the backdrop. 
I don't understand why the car, driver and photographer would travel 2-3 miles to take a photo in front of a building that was almost the same as one next to the journalist's office. 

C

Edit:

Try the east side of Claremont Square, if you have donned your full anorak.
I'm with Tony on this one, my money is on Earl's Terrace.
All doorways on Harley Street are much wider than in the A7 photos.
The 1995 rebuild of Earl's Terrace (c 1800-1810) would have enabled improved hidden roof drainage and would account for total uniformity of door frames, fanlights etc. The Listing (Grade 2) describes three in the terrace of 25 properties as being facsimile rebuilds, presumably following bomb damage.
It's an impressive rebuild, a far better option than demolishing the lot and replacement with a characterless modern block, it's just a shame that they now appear to be homes for a few multi-millionaires when "affordable" housing is what's really needed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/t...ry/1267156

This fairly recent architect's planning app gives a few details of the 1195 rebuild:

https://www.rbkc.gov.uk/idoxWAM/doc/Othe...ageCount=1
I'm not convinced it's Earls Terrace.   Whilst parts of a terrace may have been rebuilt as a result of bomb damage etc it is highly unlikely that the whole street would have uniformly different architectural features, as follows:
Slightly arched window heads.  Those in the publicity photos are straight.
Different glazing bar detail.  The windows in the publicity photos have fewer, larger panes.
Different fan light glazing.  The publicity photo has a vertical arched pattern as opposed to a true fan pattern.
The search is on for a London terrace with the above architectural features!
I don't think it's Earls Terrace, either. The present terrace is numbered 1-23 and I think it unlikely that it would have been renumbered, whilst there isn't enough space to extend the existing terrace another twenty-odd dwellings.
(02-06-2021, 10:29 AM)Malcolm Parker Wrote: I'm not convinced it's Earls Terrace.   Whilst parts of a terrace may have been rebuilt as a result of bomb damage etc it is highly unlikely that the whole street would have uniformly different architectural features, as follows:
Slightly arched window heads.  Those in the publicity photos are straight.
Different glazing bar detail.  The windows in the publicity photos have fewer, larger panes.
Different fan light glazing.  The publicity photo has a vertical arched pattern as opposed to a true fan pattern.
The search is on for a London terrace with the above architectural features!

I'm unconvinced that the fan light glazing or window bars are definitive - easily damaged and replaced but the flat window lintels, door widths, arch shape, first floor vestigial balconies and steps to the door are not going to change. 

C
Another photo at the same location. Outside number 40.

Light Car and Cyclecar, Temple Press.

See the old forum, 19th May, 2015   

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...1&cmd=show

.jpg   Ulster-side.jpg (Size: 154.82 KB / Downloads: 248)
Nice pic, Henry, I've not seen that one before.
An aerial view of Holland Park from the 1950s (?) shows the BMC (Austin) building and above it a couple of streets of terraces.  The site now seems to be a Hilton.

Attached Files
.jpg   Holland Park 1930s.jpg (Size: 234.89 KB / Downloads: 183)