The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - June 2021
why could they not be the same. All the characteristics are there - just side-shortened?
The 1932 picture shows a heavy downpipe just to the right of each front door - these aren't present on the 1930 picture.
Given the multiple door bell buttons visible in the Ulster photo I'd suggest that it's either a business district or somewhat less posh than has been suggested. I wouldn't reject central Birmingham in the pre Luftwaffe days.

Charles
Thanks to Mike for posting what is an uncommon and little known model Seven, showing several features with are very different from the earlier Type Rs ( TopHats )
This is the only period photo I know of. Please advise if any others are known.
The model was only manufactured for a few months and shows many features which went into the design of the next saloon model, the RK.
The engineering involved in developing this late R would have been quite extensive and it seem strange this was carried out for such a short production run.
I am fortunate to own one of these models, albeit in oily rag condition, but with all the correct details, and with a full history from new.

Chris Garner - Type R Registrar.
The buildings in early and late pictures look identical. But, if they were flattened and then rebuilt (with hidden downpipes) a most remarkable job was done in replicating the original steps, windows and railings, etc. A better possibility is that the original was comprehensively restored - the facade being retained.
As the picture below shows, Earls Terrace underwent a major restoration in 1995, but it is the differences between the 1932 picture and the 1930 picture that is relevant?

Attached Files
.jpg   Earls Terrace Restoration.jpg (Size: 251.62 KB / Downloads: 259)
It's definitely an area around Harley Street W1 Devonshire place W1 and the surrounding streets.
I am with Colin on this one.  The Building Act of 1774 categorized buildings into seven rates, four of which applied to terrace houses.   This tended to standardize the design and even the appearance of the facades.  Part of the Act was concerned with the spread of fire and banished projecting timber porches and external timber sash window boxes.  A major consequence of the Act was that in future the decoration of a terrace house facade was limited to what could be done in stucco and decorative ironwork.
This is why so many of the fashionable London terraces have such a standardized appearance.
Most of these terraces had four storeys plus a semi basement floor and many had already been sub-divided into flats by 1850.
That's the first time I've worn my Surveyors hat since retiring six years ago!
I seem to remember that the 1930 photo of the road test EA was at, or near the Temple Press offices at Rosebery Avenue, E.C.1

.jpg   Temple Press.JPG (Size: 89.52 KB / Downloads: 194) The Temple Press offices in Rosebery Avenue are shown in this period photograph.   A bit of detective work on Google Street View leads me to think that the photos may have been taken in Harley Street, or possibly a nearby street built as part of the same development.