The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
top help
would love some video or photo and talking advice on how to put down the top on a 29 chummy. I read the manual and it is not very helpful on the subject. I don't have top straps or a boot (as we call it in the states) for the top. I don't know if its possible to put a video on the forum, if not if you could explain it good enough it will definitely will help. also i dont want to damage the window when at all possible. Thanks
Hopefully someone who owns a 1929 car will be able to give chapter and verse. My own Tourer is 1933 so not identical but it is fair to say that the same principles apply. The car isn't here for me to demonstrate, alas, but the essence of the matter is to pull the material out to hang behind the car as step 1. As far as I can recall it then becomes rather inevitable where the window ends up - sorry that's little help! The excess material I fold up concertina fashion on top of the folded frame. If I were good at "hospital corners", that would help.

The most constructive remark I can make is that it's worth making a "boot" asap. I managed without one for some years but the general flapping and untidiness of the folded hood finally got to me and I certainly wish I'd done it before.

I used conventional straps with buckles for years until a friend suggested using bicycle toe clip straps. These have an ingenious and simply released buckle mechanism (e. g. eBay item number: 402432383364 )
which I found to be the perfect solution.

Regards,

Stuart
(31-05-2021, 09:44 AM)stuartu Wrote: Hopefully someone who owns a 1929 car will be able to give chapter and verse. My own Tourer is 1933 so not identical but it is fair to say that the same principles apply. The car isn't here for me to demonstrate, alas,  but the essence of the matter is to pull the material out to hang behind the car as step 1. As far as I can recall it then becomes rather inevitable where the window ends up - sorry that's little help! The excess material I fold up concertina fashion on top of the folded frame. If I were good at "hospital corners", that would help.

The most constructive remark I can make is that it's worth making a "boot" asap. I managed without one for some years but the general flapping and untidiness of the folded hood finally got to me and I certainly wish I'd done it before.

I used conventional straps with buckles for years until a friend suggested using bicycle toe clip straps. These have an ingenious and simply released buckle mechanism (e. g.  eBay item number: 402432383364  )
which I found to be the perfect solution.

Regards,

Stuart
A hood bag certainly does make a big difference. An alternative to the excellent idea of the quick-release cycle toe clip straps is a dog collar. These look nicely "vintage" and, if a good width (20 mm), will pull the frame together very securely. I've no idea about the intricacies of making a hood bag, but here's a really good, home-made one with a few cunning ideas to maintain fit and to stop it from acting as an air brake. Knowing the maker, the fabric likely to have been salvaged from a barrage-balloon found in a Sheffield field in 1944.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)