The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shattering experience
I was driving back from king’s Lynn yesterday, quite chuffed as I’d just climbed a hill in top gear ( this is Norfolk, not Yorkshire) when my windscreen suddenly fractured into the familiar frosty pattern. Being an Austin Seven there was a handy place to stop and push out all the little pieces. The rest of the journey was an eye watering experience.
Now, to the point — it’s a 1937 Opal with opening windscreen etc — some advice please on best way to remove the frame for fitting new glass. It seems to me that it I shall have to slacken the nut holding one of the side pillars but I should really appreciate some advice on best way forward with the usual dos and donts 

Charles
Yes, at least one of the side irons will have to come off - there are several inches of tube running into the windscreen head from either side, so it's not just a case of spreading them slightly. On a PD/APD you only need to remove one side, but if, as I assume, it's an APE, I think that you'll have to draw both irons out of the scuttle.
Hi Charles, I,m in Downham Market, where are you based ????
New to the area so need some A7 Buddies !!!!
Thanks Martin — it’s an APE so I now know how to proceed. The side irons nuts are a bit inaccessible so I’m expecting a bit of a struggle. I presume it’s one nut on each side.

Hi Flywheel — I’m at Foulsham, around six miles out of Fakenham on the Norwich road. I’m going to Beaulieu this July and may use the A10 which is not far from you I believe. Anyway, you would be very welcome if you ever came this way.
Flywheel: can I add to what Charles has said and invite you to contact the Norfolk Austin 7 Club - if you have not done so already. Charles is a member and we hope to resume normal service once lockdown ends.

Full details on our website www.na7c.co.uk
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Charles - I have a nasty feeling that there are two nuts each side (it's a little while since we last had to do this and I may be wrong) and about as inaccessible as it's possible to get. Sorry to be such a ray of sunshine!
Did you ever try to get the front wings off an A35 Martin? 

The APE screen is the same as my AAL. There are four bolts, two at the top of each A post, accessible with the doors open. The nuts are easily accessible if you know what way to go... 

.jpg   20210529_225103.jpg (Size: 195.6 KB / Downloads: 285)

The two on the driver's side are easy to get to behind the dash, the passenger side two are accessed one from inside the glove box over the top of the hole that lets you get to the top hinge bolts. 

.jpg   20210529_225310.jpg (Size: 92.68 KB / Downloads: 285)

The lower one is accessed from the scuttle vent. 

.jpg   20210529_225541.jpg (Size: 72.83 KB / Downloads: 283)

On mine, etting the bolts out was the easy bit. 

The top of the A posts were tight with rust so a lot of easing oil and teasing back and forth, up and down was needed, and both sides need to come up at the same time. When you get the frame out and the sides off, there may also be plenty of rust in the top tube...

If you struggle to get the nuts back on, you may find a strip of bodge tape (duck/ duct tape, gaffer tape etc) across the spanner to hold the nut in useful. With the A35 wings, it was also essential to tie the spanner to a length of string so that you could retrieve the one from the inner wing if you  dropped it... otherwise the wing had to come off again. No such trouble with the 7
Hi Nick,

Thanks so much for your great photos and words of wisdom — in tea drinking terms it’s going to be a three cuppa job. Perhaps something a little stronger, later.
(29-05-2021, 09:30 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: Charles - I have a nasty feeling that there are two nuts each side (it's a little while since we last had to do this and I may be wrong) and about as inaccessible as it's possible to get.  Sorry to be such a ray of sunshine!

Hi Martin,

Following your and Nick’s response I tackled the job this sunny afternoon. The offside nuts and bolts came out a treat as did the near side bottom bolt. The top near side bolt is well seized and even with nut off will not free up. I’ll go and see a chap I know on Tuesday so that we can make a cunning plan.
Did you notice the shiny bolt in my photo... it was a while ago but I seem to remember drilling or grinding the head off and drifting it through.