The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tales of the salesman
A few years ago I had our modern serviced by the main dealer which included a new cam belt. A few days later Sue was out in it and phoned me to say the ignition warning light was on and the steering was heavy. I told her to phone the AA as I suspected the auxiliary drive belt had broken. My diagnosis was correct and the AA towed her to the main agents. In the morning they rang me to tell me the auxiliary drive belt was broken and they changed it. I asked if they had checked the cam belt to which they said no it will be OK to which I replied check it and if it's damaged you replace it at your cost, OK was the reply. I arrived at the garage just as the cover was removed to reveal a damaged cam belt.
It sounds like they removed the drive belt to do the cam belt, then refitted the drive belt at the specified tension ---- too tight for an old belt.
I thought it sounded like they had not replaced either belt at the service.
That's why I got it serviced elsewhere after that.
A few years ago I was at a nearby filling station in the modern, and got the spare petrol can out to fill that too. With can in hand, I followed my usual procedure of introducing the nozzle first with the can at waist level, then slowly lowering the pair to the ground before pumping.

This time it was different. "YOU MUST FILL THE CAN ON THE GROUND" squawked the tannoy. So I put the hose back into its holder and strode in to fetch the young man from behind the mike. OK, says I. You show me how it's supposed to be done. With can on ground, he took the hose out of its holder and lowered it towards the can. A good cupful of petrol left from the last customer glugged over the can and his trainers.

That's why I always put the nozzle in before lowering says I.......
Went to a local BMC dealer many years ago, asked if they had a gasket for a AH Sprite diff, ( had a 750 formula car I was working on )
the guy behind the counters said, Your the 3rd person to ask for one of those today, but we don't stock them, as there is no demand !!!
Hi Flywheel

That would be a lot of enquireis even forĀ  Seven diff in their day. Did you phone in twice?
I suppose y're all acquainted with that classic car valuation / auction house expert who took a look under the bonnet of a straight 8 cilinder twin-plug Bugatti engine and subsequently announced it as a 16 cilinder Bugatti???