The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuse advice please!
I've put in a few extra fuses on the box saloon and I could do with some guidance as to what rated fuses to use.

I have put an inline fuse in the main feed from the starter motor to the ammeter, as recommended.

Another between the stop lamp switch and the petrol gauge (where the old auxilliary fuse was) and another for the horn.

Can anyone make any suggestions as to the fuse ratings I should use please?

I have the correct quick blow glass fuses in stock in 5, 20, 25 and 35 amp.
Hello Ivor

I would suggest as a starting point 35 Amp for the ammeter circuit.

The original Aux (accessory) fuse was 25 Amps covering the Stop Lamp, Trafficators and Petrol Gauge. I'd suggest sticking with this even if the load is nowadays more (Two stop lamps, flashing indicators etc).

If you meant a separate fuse just for the Petrol Gauge, 5 Amps might be more appropriate (normal current is less than 1 Amp).

The horn draws an average of about 3 Amps (briefly !), so use 20 Amps or 10 if you can source it.

The job of the Fuse is to protect the wiring from overheating in the event of a short circuit or fault somewhere "downstream" of the Fuse.
Hello Ivor

When I rewire my AEW I will be putting in a dedicated fused ammeter feed directly onto the battery. The fuse will be located as close as physically possible to the battery terminal in order to protect against shorts along the wiring harness.

Regards Peter
John, Peter, thanks for the response, much appreciated chaps, I’ll get those sorted this weekend and see what works and what doesn’t!