The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Austin Seven & English Electric Lightening
Stuart Joseph writes:

"Hello Ruairidh. I'm not sure if this image has been seen before on the Friends website. I have permission to reproduce from RR heritage. I understand that it was taken at the RR airfield at Hucknall Notts in the late 60's or early 70's. Could you post it for me on the Friends website if you think it appropriate. Best regards, Stuart"

Great photo.

"The light car and the Lightening"

BTW, I heard that RAF pilots' nickname for the plane was "The Frightening" Probably because of it's fantastic performance.
Terrific picture! 

As an air cadet many years ago I remember being told that the tyres on a Lightning had to be changed every two landings.
2-seater or 4-seater? It appears to have a bench front seat. And is that a Guinness-label tax disc?
one of the few interceptors of it's day capable of catching the U2 & Concorde with ease.
And we worry about leaky radiators. Does the chap standing on the wing really have a watering can?
What is the device on the nose of the Lightning? Never seen it before.
The title grated slightly with me, there is no 'e' in Lightning, but it's a great picture.
Its fitted with a Muzzle to stop it biting groundcrew !!!!
Is it this aircraft they used for gravel trap stopping tests? They show and mention the mesh intake protector in this film.

https://www.britishpathe.com/video/farnb.../query/May

I wonder how quickly the Austin 7 would stop in that gravel trap. Not sure you would get it up to 90 mph to try though!

Always liked the Lightning, very cool aircraft and very Thunderbirds looking. The music on that film reminds me of Thunderbirds too! 

Simon