The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Laystall crankshaft
(16-05-2021, 04:58 PM)Jack in the Box Wrote: Stuart,

I wondered if you were referring to the one shown in the attached 'photo.

According to the diaries of Harold Biggs, half of this crank came from a broken Holland Birkett engine and half was made new by Laystall to suit. Do you think my unbroken half is worth £800?

Only joking.

Alan

Haha, I'd forgotten the one from the Biggs special. Yours must be even more valuable than the Ebay one with all that extra patina Smile The broken one I mentioned, Mo Fuller showed me sometime in 70's. At the time Mo owned the ex Doc Bennett Supersports, but I don't think the crank came out of that car. As well as the break, the bolts were rather scarily stretched.
If it were not for the complication of oil duct could pull together with a tie bolt. A tensioned bolt has vastly higher resistance to fatigue (ie con rod bolts). Some fitted tie bolts to Bradford cranks as near all are cracked (but being cast iron survive for decades in that state)
I thought we had discussed thi before- in 2019:

The chance of new crankshafts and rod etc (austinsevenfriends.co.uk)
(16-05-2021, 07:54 PM)Alan Wrote: Might have to - I have a drawing somewhere I think

Give Mr Sharma in Wolverhampton a call. He will make you any crank so long as you cross his palm with enough silver.
hi hedd,

i may be wrong, but i beleive nash at wolverhampton has handed the business onto family after illness. the family dont seam to be looking for crank manufacture for old cars at the moment?

many of the crank manufacturers seam to have had problems, or closed. over the last year.

its a shame, but the world has and is changing.

tony.
Here's the crankshaft that was in Dr Bennett's car. I wonder what the cutaways in the sump gauze flange are for? 

(17-05-2021, 05:26 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: hi hedd,

i may be wrong, but i beleive nash at wolverhampton has handed the business onto family after illness. the family dont seam to be looking for crank manufacture for old cars at the moment?

many of the crank manufacturers seam to have had problems, or closed. over the last year.

its a shame, but the world has and is changing.

tony.

What a pity

This was procured from there in the last 6 months

[Image: 187809847_10223374282559832_446683311024...e=60CA08FD]

Not the eccentrics though (the bits in the middle), that pic was taken after first trial fit.