The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Busted radiator
Full details are on the thread "Restoring a Top Hat" but the radiator on the 1926 Top Hat has suddenly developed a catastrophic leak from the core, 2/3 way up on the off-side.

The radiator was a 1980's recore using an "A Film" block, done by Marston Radiators and has never been used on the road.

Question is, what sort of new core would be suitable? A film or Honeycomb? Modern core with a Honeycomb front panel?

Does anyone have experience with radiator restoration companies, good or bad?

Given that this core has never been used in anger, might it be repairable?
Hi Parazine

I had the Special radiator re-cored at Hereford Radiators. Probably too far from you?  They did a good job also repairing the top and bottom tanks that had sustained some damage. I can’t remember the cost but it wasn’t untoward.  

The core was a modern one which was fine by me as I’ve put a stone guard in front of it  Big Grin. Pic below.

I think you will be paying big money for a honeycomb rad.  If the car is to be used a modern rad will possibly be more efficient?

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   EB840B23-82B7-4530-92CE-5F31B8CDDCF1.jpeg (Size: 132.04 KB / Downloads: 355)
I'd try a good dose of Bars leak. With the RN thirty years ago we took the core to Sercks who dipped it and said it leaked. He recommended Bars leak, the dog turd variety and after using a couple of tubes it didn't leak. Thirty years later it still doesn't leak and has never boiled either.
The rad should be reasonably fresh inside if it's not been run much; so a solder repair should be possible. I had a leaking Honeycomb rad repaired by these people for the tiniest fraction of the cost of a new core. https://www.pandmradiators.co.uk/repairs.html
(13-05-2021, 05:36 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: I had the Special radiator re-cored at Hereford Radiators. Probably too far from you?  

No Hereford is quite close, just the other side of Gloucester really. CPA Services in Grantham, Lincs did an A film core for a friend recently for a shade under £900 all in, Honeycomb seems to be nearer £1200 these days. 
I'm keen to find out whether the leak can be repaired!
I've seen many an A7 radiator with a large dob of solder somewhere on the core. If the rest of the core is good you can afford to lose a channel or two.
K-Seal has a very good reputation....
Austins only fitted honeycomb for a very short time didnt they? (the chummy I just sold had one). The great majority were Serck A
I'd be tempted to have a dob of solder on the leak and hide it with an old AA badge.
The 1980s rad cores were not very strong or good quality. expect to pay over £800 for a proper replacement rad core.
I had the EB65 recored by Plymouth Radiators. A good small company

https://plymouthcarradiators.co.uk/vehic...r-plymouth

A well known Scottish Musician sent his Bugatti down to have a new rad fitted ( or was it a Radiator for a Beatle )