The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN petrol taps
        The postman delivered these taps unsolicited, I'd seen some like them on the internet and thought they could be made to fit a Seven. The nice shiny one is Chinese rubbish mazak, do not be tempted to buy the nice shiny ones, the grubby one is brass and has a future.
Both look like motorbike taps to me.
The brass one is a typical Enots/Ewarts type and both are intended for motorcycle use. The brass type appears on eBay pretty frequently and so, if the double-tap on a mid-1930 onwards car is missing it might be that, with some work, one of these could be used. If only the Chinese maker could turn out perfect copies of the A7 type.
    I suppose that I should remove the chrome plate. Naturally the reserve tap is in the cab. Buy Chinese at your own risk.
Looks good! May I assume that the adapter flange to fit the A7 tank is attached using the original thread?
    Tested, no leaks and we have 1 gallon reserve. Yes the brass one had  3/8" BSP thread, so I tapped a piece of 5/16" plate 3/8" BSP screwed the tap in tight with a joint washer and then marked the plate out for cutting to shape with the main tap under the bonnet. The outlet to the carburetor is a Ewarts special smaller than 1/4" BSP and may heed opening up.
    I opened the outlet up to 1/4" which gives a much better flow. I suppose an hours work with a Dremel and it could pass for an original.
(14-05-2021, 08:32 PM)Dave Mann Wrote: I opened the outlet up to 1/4" which gives a much better flow. I suppose an hours work with a Dremel and it could pass for an original.
I wonder what the maximum flow needs to be? Could it be 10 m.p.g. at 20 m.p.h. climbing a steep hill? That would use 2 gallons an hour; 1 gallon in 30 minutes; 1/2 gallon in 15 minutes; 1/4 gallon in 7.5 minutes; 1/8 gallon (1 pint) in 3 minutes 15 seconds (see how human-friendly the imperial system is!).
Well it's more like the flow from a standard tap now, before I could wee more. I've worked out how to do this conversion so it would look like an original by turning the 3/8" BSP down and silver soldering the tap to the flange.
(15-05-2021, 09:58 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: Well it's more like the flow from a standard tap now, before I could wee more. I've worked out how to do this conversion so it would look like an original by turning the 3/8" BSP down and silver soldering the tap to the flange.

Pictures, Dave, pictures! It all looks very impressive....