The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dynamo tower front O/S bolt arrangements
What was the original layout for this bolt... or perhaps set screw? Was there ever a thread in the 'tower' casting?
I've JB welded a nut onto a tatty tower to see if this is more convenient for tightening/removal here, but what have others adopted here for sanity?
Hi Jon

Of the towers I have seen (not that many) they have all been fixed with a stud screwed into a tapped hole in the nose cone with a nut and spring washer to fit the tower.

Piggy backing on this thread (sorry Jon).  Did the tower change height during production? The reason for asking is that the one fitted on the special gives rise to a very large backlash on the dynamo drive gear.  I believe the solution is to linish the base of the tower, but the thought occurred that not all towers (or dynamo drive gears) are the same?

Cheers

Howard
Was there a photo to go with the original post?
no - just a description in the title! front bolt O/S.. or front dynamo side. I must have lost thread there as I've resorted to bolt from underneath (which is quite handy).
'Of the towers I have seen (not that many) they have all been fixed with a stud screwed into a tapped hole in the nose cone with a nut and spring washer to fit the tower.

Piggy backing on this thread (sorry Jon).  Did the tower change height during production? The reason for asking is that the one fitted on the special gives rise to a very large backlash on the dynamo drive gear.  I believe the solution is to linish the base of the tower, but the thought occurred that not all towers (or dynamo drive gears) are the same?'

The Spare Parts books are a little difficult to follow but all the ones I have seen had a stud with nut and washer here.

On your question I believe that the dynamo drive pinion changed form from bell to solid but the diameter remained the same ?
The four fastenings should locate the housing very positvely. Otherwise with every disturbance the gears have to settle again with consequent cast iron dust.