The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Works Van Colour
The tractor behind looks like an Austin so the van almost certainly does, indeed, belong to the local Austin agent - or an agricultural service organisation.
It appears that Austin signage of the period was a blue background with Yellow lettering, of course individual dealers may have had their own schemes. I also think I am right in remembering that I have seen a colour picture from the late 30's of the single seater in a green transporter, so I guess paint it what ever you fancy, if you like it who cares.
Black Art Enthusiast
I have to apologize for the clumsy way in which I asked the question about the van colour etc.

I know too well the difficulties in trying to discern colours from black and white prints and in this case I really should have been a little more careful in regards to the information sought regarding the van’s colour.

The picture source is from the Austin Seven Source Book page 111. It gives the colour of the van and the script on the side .

I am looking for a theme to finish my own van in when it is done and this seemed a good  one to emulate as the description does suggest that it was a factory vehicle.

My guess is that if it was painted maroon as stated in the pictures script, that it most likely would have been the same Maroon used on the production line for cars made the same year.

So this is what I was trying to find out:
1.Maroon; the same standard shade and colour as for Sevens of 1927  ?
2.Wheels and wings Black as per regular production ?
3.Roof possibly White as indicated in the photo?

Thank you all for your patience in answering this post. I genuinely appreciate your input in this regard.
Cheers,
Stephen
Hmmm ... I would treat anything in the Source Book with great care! Film of the 1920s would not render gold (paint or leaf) as a pale tint as in the van picture. This is a period photo of a Longbridge-built Austin tractor in the standard colours of Royal Blue with yellow/gold lettering - you will note the lettering is virtually black:

.jpg   1921 Austin tractor.jpg (Size: 64.73 KB / Downloads: 163)

I also doubt the tractor in the van photo is a French-built one; Longbridge were building these tractors up to around 1932. If the van was, indeed, maroon (and the photo rendering would make this quite possible), then I would suggest the Austin script was probably white, or maybe silver (it could well be pale blue, but that seems an unlikely colour combination!). Wings and wheels would almost certainly be black.

Edit: ... and yes, I agree, white roof!
a note from Ken Kimber:
"I am always interested in the livery used on commercials and have been watching the above thread.
Not able to view the photograph in question, however I am somewhat surprised that nobody has mentioned the picture on page 111 of the Source Book. This is dated November 1927 and shows Freddie Henry with a C cab van which belonged to Austin and is signwritten Austin and was recalled, correctly I am sure, as being Maroon with Gold lettering.
Even I am not old enough to have seen vehicles pre WW2 but in the fifties local dealers had service vans painted Grey and Maroon - Vanguard Models sell an A35 Van in this livery".
Surely the van has the bigger short cowl?. Associated with the change to coil ignition in 1928 (i know the change doesnt tie exactly). Also the R47's.

What im getting at then is it really a 1927 photo?. The van doesnt exactly look brand new.

(26-09-2019, 08:45 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Hmmm ... I would treat anything in the Source Book with great care! Film of the 1920s would not render gold (paint or leaf) as a pale tint as in the van picture. This is a period photo of a Longbridge-built Austin tractor in the standard colours of Royal Blue with yellow/gold lettering - you will note the lettering is virtually black:

I also doubt the tractor in the van photo is a French-built one; Longbridge were building these tractors up to around 1932. If the van was, indeed, maroon (and the photo rendering would make this quite possible), then I would suggest the Austin script was probably white, or maybe silver (it could well be pale blue, but that seems an unlikely colour combination!). Wings and wheels would almost certainly be black.

Edit:  ... and yes, I agree, white roof!

Mike, not sure if the Austin script in your picture would be Red or Yellow. Both of course would render black. 

The tractor in the van picture has a small bolt on Script on the bonnet side. Probably the same rad script as on a 12/4 or 20 Car?

The froggy built tractors were not sold in the UK until sometime in 1930, this probably precipitated the end of Longbridge production in 1932. The French and english models were different also. 

If someone had Nick Baldwins book we could probably date the tractor in the van picture. And therefore conclude what colour it was. I notice too its on cleats rather than spade lugs, another likely dating clue. Based on what I think I remember, id say the photo was 1929-30.
I agree, Hedd; I should have picked up on that. The photo cannot predate October 1928, and as you say it probably dates from 1929-30. The script in my photo could indeed be red, I just didn't think red on blue would be a likely colour pairing.