The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squeaky damper
With twin friction front dampers I have a squeak on the nearside one. They are both at approximate even tension but the squeak is definitely coming from the LHS. I can feel it if I bounce that side.
I’m tempted to put some oil on but that would be defeating the object of a friction device?
As nobody has shown any interest in your squeaky damper, Duncan, I would suggest that you give the friction discs a very light smear of grease. It seems to defy logic but in my experience they are better that way, especially if they get wet.
I am surprised you can hear a squeak over the beat of the lusty V-twin!
I have done similar to Malcolm when experiencing a squeak, without any issues further along the line.

Many advocate some lubrication on the damper discs from outset and I recall that they may of originally been made from material that exuded such, naturally...
Thanks chaps! Someone did suggest soaking them in oil but I thought he was pulling my leg!
The lusty V-twin is quieter than the squeak...at low speeds anyway.
I seem to recall that, originally, the shock absorber discs were made of oiled beechwood.