The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spectator safety 1928
Hi Austin.
How do you reckon the photographer acheived that shot? Not an ideal situation for a step ladder! A camea on a stick?
(07-05-2021, 10:58 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: All you need to complete the series is the photo of car after killing a few spectators and which led to the ban on road racing in UK.
At any such event today hundreds of images would be taken, but none of quality to match those.

Just in the last couple of days that one of the big issues was spectators actually wanting to touch the car as it went by.
I well remember in the 1970's standing watching RAC Rally cars going through Sutton Park with crowds on the outside of corners and standing in the road. Thought it was mad at the time.
The rear suspension looks much like on a Riley Brooklands. Right down to the rotating clamp on the axle over the spring. The Riley has a torque tube pivoted at the back of the gearbox so the rear axle has to rotate on the spring. Pity it doesn't show the front of the rear mount, I am trying to work out how to build that bit now!

Simon
The incident To which Bob refers took place at The Kop speed hill climb in 1925. A Bugatti struck a spectator and broke his leg. The spectator had previously been asked to move and refused. Although I’m sure there have been racing accidents with less fortunate outcomes, no one died that day.
Alan Fairless
It was that accident at Kopp Hill which led to the end of road racing in the country. The car involved has been rebuilt and ran there again three or four years ago.
The young boy in the original seems to be holding a box Brownie although not looking into the viewfinder A t1/25 sec shutter speed he should get more impression of motion than the artist!