The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice to Remove Dynamo
It is also important to set the ignition timing before actually removing the dynamo. With distributor cap removed,turn engine until rotor arm points to number one cylinder plug lead position and "C B" points are fully open. Remove dynamo without altering crankshaft position. When replacing dynamo. position drive gears so that rotor arm aligns with cylinder 1 position.
(08-05-2021, 11:38 AM)“john williams Wrote: It is also important to set the ignition timing before actually removing the dynamo. With distributor cap removed,turn engine until rotor arm points to number one cylinder plug lead position and "C B" points are fully open. Remove dynamo without altering crankshaft position. When replacing dynamo. position drive gears so that rotor arm aligns with cylinder 1 position.

Plus one for Johns comment. However, you will still need to make final adjustments to the timing. Nothing ever goes back quite the way it came apart!
Dynamo now removed quite easily. Only had to remove the two horizontal bolts. Fortunately someone had ground out part of the dynamo casing to allow removal of the dynamo without having to remove the vertical bolt. 
Really grateful for your assistance,
I would also like to see a detailed diagram of a 35A more comprehensive than the one in Woodrow. I am puzzled by the indication of a felt washer. I have not found one in the dynamo I am rebuilding. If it should have one, what size? Also I did not find a swaged washer?
I make my felt seal to fit it's housing and the shaft as they are either missing of falling apart, without stripping a dynamo I've no idea of it's size. I've also fond some dynamos missing the swaged washer which allows excessive end float of the dynamo.
Dave, thanks for useful reply. I'll start to make my own felt seal. I'll advise dimensions when complete.

What do you suggest to replace swaged washer?
Re posts 11 and 12 from John and David. Followed John's advice about setting distributor before removing dynamo. Unfortunately, as forewarned by David. It didn't go back together as planned and wouldn't fire up.
However, I then followed a method found by Google to get TDC of no1 piston using stick through spark plug hole. Then inserted distributor with rotor roughly in no1 position with contact breaker heel on the flats of the distributor cam.
A local A7 owner suggested that at this point connect the lead to no1 plug and turn on the ignition. Lie the plug on the cylinder head and slowly rotate the distributor anti-clockwise until the plug sparks. This gave a timing position that allowed the engine to run with throttle wound open a little.  Then fine tune.
This is the abbreviated version as many old hands know it already. I would be happy to give more detail for anyone wishing to know more. Just contact me through the personal message section. 
Graham Barker