The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scuttle fuel tank repairer request.
Just been on the scrounge around the local industrial estates for a piece of thin copper or bronze for the patch, negative on all counts. So popped into my local fix all makes garage to see what they had. "You don't want to patch it with that" he says. "Run a hose through the tank for an hour then string a candle on the end of a broom handle and light it" he says, "Then stand back and put the candle near the filler and poof! Then you can weld a steel patch on it" Reckons they did it all the time back in the day! Well not round here they ain't. No way Jose!
Simplest way to solder it is to find a ruddy great piece of metal. And heat that up. Ive used an old bearing our of my traction engine in the past. Got it cherry red.

You can tin the tank using an iron, the patch away from the tank with a flame.

You then sit the patch where it wants to go. Sit the bloody great lump of metal on it and wait. Either take the lump off when its flowed, or just let it cool.
A piece of copper pipe cut and opened up? Can annealed and pressed or beaten flat.
If carbon monoxide were the only ingredient of exhaust gas it might well be flammable but without oxygen it would not burn inside a tank. Fortunately there is also carbon dioxide (non flammable) nitrogen dioxide (non flammable) water vapour (non flammable) and sundry other traces of non flammable by-products in exhaust gas.
The candle trick sounds like sheer folly to me, probably devised to scare the sh * t out of an apprentice...
Given the very small size of the holes causing the leaks, and the difficulty of getting everything to a useful temperature for soldering without a fireball, have you considered using a copper patch, but sticking it in place with epoxy resin?
Many epoxy resins reckon to be unaffected by petrol.
You already have a very nice clean, slightly rough and presumably grease free surface on your tank, so halfway there.
Thanks everyone. I have had a very kind offer from one of our friends and we are going to have a go on Thursday. I'll  let you know how we get on.
Best Regards
Peter.
Had a very successful visit to one of our friends, who not only fixed the patch for me but gave me a great one to one on how to do everything safely and successfully. I washed the tank with hot soapy water last night, and he vacated the tank air with a vacuum cleaner (clever). He used the method of tinning copper sheet and fixing to the tinned tank with huge copper soldering iron. I'll let him tell you who he is if he would like to. Thanks for everybody's input. Spray up this afternoon and fixed back in tomorrow.
Best regards
Peter