The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Britain Challenge
With the radiator and engine in good condition overheating should never be a problem.
As mentioned by others on this thread overcooling is much more likely, almost certain in cold weather.
Because of this we have a Renault 5 thermostat fitted inside the top hose. Several manufacturers used this method of mounting the thermostat.
Below 80C wear increases significantly.
This means the engine warms up much more quickly and then maintains an even temperature.

.jpg   Thermostat.jpg (Size: 10.23 KB / Downloads: 300)

The blue hose was all I could find to try the experiment at low cost. However black is available.
It's worked very well since 2015 and about 10,100 miles.
Jim
I notice in Austin Woods photo that the fan belt is running hard against one shoulder of the fan pulley and becoming frayed. I have the same thing happening on my Ruby. 
Have you tried rectifying this and is it an easy fix?
I never worry overmuch about the fan and often remove it in winter. I haven't tried to get it to run centrally.

Jim
Jim
I think the problem with old pulleys is that they have lost the dome on the belt groove. With a pulley in good condition, as new-ish, the belt will run centrally away from the shoulders so long as both pulleys are properly aligned.
Re Robert's comment. The pulley is well domed. It appears that the pulley has moved forward towards the radiator causing misalignment. Some greasy shaft is exposed between the pulley and shaft mounting. I wonder if something within the pulley can come loose allowing this to happen.
In the photo there appears to be a gap where the fan spindle mounts onto the dynamo housing. I suggest using a suitable washer behind the split pin to ensure that this is not so.
I took the head off today and it looks rather clean inside. i got the engine spinning over on the starter motor but the bores are a bit scratched. the pistons are marked +060. is that the max rebore?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks Robert. Will look at doing that.