The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Round Britain Challenge
I know a chap who has an MG TC which has a plaque on the dashboard proclaiming that it completed the Round Britain Challenge.  It doesn't mention that it was done in about six sections and the distance travelled on the Recovery Service vehicle far exceeded the mileage it did under  it's own steam!

Thanks for that - hugely funny!
Shall we expand this thread a little?

What will stop you doing between 3 and 5 thousand consecutive miles?

You would (probably) want to be trucked home if the crankshaft broke.   Which they are known to do, if original and cracked.

If I had a limited amount of money to spend, I would fit a new crank and rods.

Most other things can be fixed by the roadside, if necessary.

There is a list of Seven owners who are willing to come and help, if needed.   I think they cover the whole country.

I carry a spare fuel pump, distributor, and carburettor float bowl.

What else has stopped people from finishing their journeys?
very sound! thanks. slightly problematically it has 17 wheels on the back and 15" wheels on the front.  i like the stance. So although I can take two sizes of tube, two spare tyres might be a challenge.. on the other hand i can always get a tyre couriered to me in a day if necessary by having some kind friends and suppliers 'on notice' before i set up.

keeping everything cool has always been my top priority with classic cars. i am wondering whether fitting a waterpump and continental fan (or electric fan) might be sensible. i have been looking at threads to see what people do. probably an electric booster pump would be sensible. trouble is, once you get in to electrical add ons you need to think about the dynamo and voltage. mind you i have a blank canvas to work on.
We have standard thermo-syphon cooling with a Renault thermostat in the top hose. Cooling not a problem. 1929 car.
Jim
do you mean a thermostatic control for an electric fan ? T

aeros  but with aluminium wind deflectors to cover the gaps under them..

Attached Files
.jpg   aeros.jpg (Size: 8.72 KB / Downloads: 227)
A radiator in good condition and a block and head with clear internal water passages is, I'm sure, all you'll need. If anything, Sevens with the taller radiator that yours has run too cool.
Keep things simple. The more modifications, the more there is to go wrong. Treated sensibly, a standard Austin Seven in good condition shouldn't come near to overheating unless perhaps you get stuck in a major traffic jam in untypically tropical conditions!
I'll second that.

Two crossings of the Pyrenées in 2019, one at 1794 metres and the other at 2408 metres. Both long slogs in 3rd gear over about 25km each one. Never overheated despite the ambient temperature being around 25°C (if you get it that hot in Scotland you'll be on one of the islands - Fantasy Island). The only mod I have (because the car lives in the south of France) is an export 4 blade fan. RP saloon. 4 speed.

One of the things you should do is to make sure the waterways in the block are properly cleared of rust and crud and that the radiator is properly flushed. It can make a huge difference to the running temperature under load.
cheers
A round Britain drive would not involve any long grueling hills so overheating is not likely to be a problem.  Keeping the engine warm is more likely to be the issue, Austin 7's do not like running cold.
I would put the car on 17" wheels all round, it would raise the front slightly and should improve the steering as there would be more caster angle on the front axle.