The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Austin Main Agents / Dealers
(22-02-2018, 04:29 PM)Michael Wrote: Do you have anything for the other side of the Pennines? I have a TJ car registered December 1932. I think that is the Preston area? After that no history until 1970s.

I have asked the local office but they have nothing.

Hi you are probably stuck, the Kithead Trust who have some records not held by Local Authorities say the below.

LANCASHIRE
Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE. (01772 533039)
Register of void licences 1921-1981; void cards 1921-1977

The list for the dealers publications currently has 12 in that area.
(22-02-2018, 05:12 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote:
(22-02-2018, 04:29 PM)Michael Wrote: Do you have anything for the other side of the Pennines? I have a TJ car registered December 1932. I think that is the Preston area? After that no history until 1970s.

I have asked the local office but they have nothing.

Hi you are probably stuck, the Kithead Trust who have some records not held by Local Authorities say the below.

LANCASHIRE
Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston, PR1 2RE. (01772 533039)
Register of void licences 1921-1981; void cards 1921-1977

The list for the dealers publications currently has 12 in that area.

Thanks, I'll give them a go.
Bear in mind, most if not all County Record Offices / County Archive Departments will charge a fee of around £20 paid in advance to search the records on your behalf and supply you with a photocopy of whatever information they have regarding your car.
(22-02-2018, 11:32 AM)squeak Wrote: George Box  were suppliers of funeral hearses to the undertaker trade and at one time supplied 40 businesses. One can assume they used Austin chassis as they were listed as Austin dealers from at least 1929 and still operating 10 years later at premises in Bradford Road Batley Yorkshire. Their corporate head office was indeed at Dewsbury but another firm E.A.Golby had the Austin franchise there.

cheers  Russell

628    sept     1928
628a             1929
915               1932
915a             1933
915b             1934
915c             1935
1388             1936
1388a            1937
1670             1938/9     

others may have the numbers for years  30, 31       cheers  Russell

Hi Russell,

I have a complete copy of Publication No 915A Austin Dealers in the United Kingdom, with 32 pages covering Aberdeen (page 3) to York (page 31)

Plus another unfortunately minus front and back cover which I believe would have had 40 pages and covers Aberdeen (page 4) to Woodford Green (page 38) - presumably the rest were on the inside back cover. 

Does this give enough information to date the second one ? 

Cheers, Tony.
Hi Tony, sorry I cannot identify exactly but I can narrow it down.
Its NOT 628a, 1929, 915 1932,  915a 1933,  915b 1934, 1388 1936,  1670 1938/39

Amongst these examples the sheer number of dealers was greatest in 1936 and declined in 1938,
 so my best guess is your booklet is 1935 915C or 1937 1388A.

There are only about 1/4 of a page of dealers after woodford green so you probably have the lot. cheers Russell

My grandfather purports to hold an Austin agency though I don't remember that make ever being mentioned. Perhaps not an official agency.
(23-02-2018, 02:10 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: My grandfather purports to hold an Austin agency though I don't remember that make ever being mentioned. Perhaps not an official agency.

Hi Robin nice card to have, I have looked in the British News Paper Archives but can't find much apart from second hand sales the address and telephone number appears in 1939, by the 50' they had moved to Bath row Birmingham.

(23-02-2018, 02:14 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Bear in mind, most if not all County Record Offices / County Archive Departments will charge a fee of around £20 paid in advance to search the records on your behalf and supply you with a photocopy of whatever information they have regarding your car.

Hi Jeff, I think County Record Offices vary, Dorset said my car was not listed then came back to me and said was listed and asked for £8 if I wanted a of copy of page, so no advance fee with them.  It may even be free to inspect in their offices.  The only thing is the writing is very poor and unclear who supplied the car.

Michael as the Kithead Trust says Void Licences I think this may just be cars not on the road any more, but still worth a telephone call.
(23-02-2018, 05:45 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote:
(23-02-2018, 02:10 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: Hi,
Does anyone have a dealer badge/logo for Prideauxs Garage of Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon ?
My grandfather purports to hold an Austin agency though I don't remember that make ever being mentioned. Perhaps not an official agency.

Hi Robin nice card to have, I have looked in the British News Paper Archives but can't find much apart from second hand sales the address and telephone number appears in 1939, by the 50' they had moved to Bath row Birmingham.

(23-02-2018, 02:14 AM)Jeff Taylor Wrote: Bear in mind, most if not all County Record Offices / County Archive Departments will charge a fee of around £20 paid in advance to search the records on your behalf and supply you with a photocopy of whatever information they have regarding your car.

Hi Jeff, I think County Record Offices vary, Dorset said my car was not listed then came back to me and said was listed and asked for £8 if I wanted a of copy of page, so no advance fee with them.  It may even be free to inspect in their offices.  The only thing is the writing is very poor and unclear who supplied the car.

Michael as the Kithead Trust says Void Licences I think this may just be cars not on the road any more, but still worth a telephone call.

Hi 
Does anyone have a picture of the logo of Prideauxs garage of Lynton and Lynmouth of North Devon
(23-02-2018, 07:39 PM)morrisminor Wrote:
(23-02-2018, 05:45 PM)Douglas Alderson Wrote:
(23-02-2018, 02:10 PM)Robin Boyce Wrote: Hi,
Does anyone have a dealer badge/logo for Prideauxs Garage of Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon ?

Hi 
Does anyone have a picture of the logo of Prideauxs garage of Lynton and Lynmouth of North Devon
Prideaux Lynton / Lynmouth was probably similar to this one.

.jpg   Prideaux.jpg (Size: 51.99 KB / Downloads: 169)
I believe I posted a photo of Prideaux Garage, The Square, Barnstaple on the old forum, it may show the logo on the frontage of the building - I'll try and find it.